San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Engineering /
We believe that all people are or can be creditworthy, and that hard work and careful business planning should be acknowledged, recognized, and rewarded. At Hatch, we want to make it easier for people to start a small business by extending credit before anyone else will, using alternative data about the small business. We want to be the lender of first resort to the 32 million small businesses in the United States. Hatch is a fintech startup located in the Financial District in (sometimes sunny) San Francisco.
The ideal candidate should have experience working as a software engineer at a startup (even more ideally in fintech), seek first to understand before being understood, and be able to render honest, critical feedback to anyone in the company about anything they see that can be improved. You should feel empowered to solve any problem the company has, but should also have the initiative to figure out how to solve it.
Things you might work on:
- Build user-facing features to design specs.
- At times, deviate from a design to workaround unforeseen constraints, but communicating these changes to all stakeholders.
- Work with backend engineers and designers to bring a feature or product live to tens of thousands of businesses.
- Build reusable components for future use.
- Ensure and maintain brand consistency.
- Optimize web pages for maximum speed and load times.
- Ensure code renders properly on all devices, especially mobile.
- Give teammates feedback through code reviews.
Skills you might have:
- Experience working with user-facing products, ideally in a startup setting and/or fintech.
- Familiarity working with codebases with several collaborators.
- Ability to work and thrive in a small group: strong communication, collaboration, and empathy.
- Resourcefulness and comfort with ambiguity--we won't know the answers to everything, but we'll figure it out together.
- Experience with React/Redux, or similar frontend framework (e.g. Vue, Angular)
- Experience with Typescript a plus
- Experience with Kotlin, Java or other strongly typed OOP a plus.
- If nothing else, good google-fu and stackoverflow reading ability.
- Best-in-class Platinum HMO and PPO Health plans. Fully covered Beam Dental and VSP Vision insurance.
- 401k plan with 4% company matching.
- Monthly subsidy for health and wellness.
- Monthly subsidy for transit and commute.
- Untracked, flexible vacation policy (we recommend one week a quarter.)
- The Hatch Match: Annual donation match to a charity of your choice.
Hatch does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.