Android Engineering Internship
Engineering – Engineering /
We believe that starting a business should be easier, and that hard work and careful business planning should be acknowledged, recognized, and rewarded. At Hatch, we are building software and financial products to help business owners start, plan, and grow their businesses. We started with a business line of credit with transparent and easy-to-understand terms, and can’t wait to show you what we’re building next. Hatch is a fintech startup headquartered in San Francisco, but with a remote presence all over the country.
As an Android Engineering Intern at Hatch, your work will have a tangible impact on our Android app - how it looks, how it runs, and how it's built. In order to achieve your goals, you’ll find yourself working with the Android team, as well as Engineering as a whole.
This is a unique opportunity to work on an agile, high-functioning team, enhancing and refining everything from feature development to testing. We prioritize clear communication. Ideas conceived in one-off discussions will make their way into code quickly!
The Hatch Android App
The Android team (and app) is 100% Kotlin, with an eye toward how Kotlin Multi Platform will make our lives easier moving forward! We're on a standard "Square" stack of Retrofit/Moshi/Dagger/SQLDelight, with an MVVM+coroutines arch to keep things testable and agile. We use Github Actions for CI and deploy nightly to our internal testers.
What You Can Expect
In your first week, you'll onboard onto the app, architecture, and any unfamiliar tech (e.g. coroutines, ViewModel). In your first month, you'll have shipped a number of features and bugfixes, and maybe spent some time investigating slicker CI tooling or Gradle scripts.
In following months, you might find yourself taking on a more weighty projects, owning entire user flows, refactoring cruft, adding better tests, analytics, or monitoring -- things a full-time engineer would do! We're a small team, and we'll encourage you to try new libraries or frameworks! You might even write some backend code, since our backend in 100% Kotlin as well.
Thee Android team has good line-of-sight on priorities, and there's plenty of work to go around. You'll join a small-but-nimble team and come away with a wealth of knowledge, all while helping us build a great app!
Skills & Experience
- A good grasp of programming fundamentals -- but we don't care if you can reverse a binary tree.
- Experience with Kotlin (or Java ☕️ ), Android Studio, JUnit, and some subset of: Dagger, Moshi, SQLDelight, Coroutines, Jetpack Navigation, or Kotlin Multiplatform.
- Experience creating readable, well-crafted, and maintainable code
- Ability to work and thrive in a small group: strong communication, collaboration, and empathy.
- Resourcefulness and comfort with ambiguity: we won't know the answers to everything, but we'll figure it out together!
- If nothing else, good Google-fu and StackOverflow reading ability. We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting.
(Since this is an internship, we generally expect you to be enrolled in a program seeking a bachelor's or master's degree. If this is not the case for you, please include a note with your circumstances)
Hatch does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.