Senior Backend Engineer
Engineering – Web /
What Haystack Is All About
Haystack is an enterprise SaaS platform on a mission to make big companies feel small. Our thoughtfully designed software helps companies engage their workforce by streamlining internal communications, forging real human connections between employees, and providing a centralized place for any resource your employees may need. Haystack is already powering the employee experience for companies like BuzzFeed, GoPuff, Credit Karma, and Chime. We've raised a seed round of $8M+ from investors like Coatue, Greycroft, and the co-founders of Twitter and Riot Games to drive future product innovation.
Haystack was born by the beach in Los Angeles with employees across the globe.
Position: Senior Backend Engineer
Reports to: CTO
What The Role Is All About
As a senior backend software engineer at Haystack, you will design and build unique features that interact with thousands of users on a daily basis. Haystack’s SaaS platform is unique. You will collaborate with skilled teammates to deliver intuitive experiences for our customers. The ideal candidate for this role is a skilled Go engineer who is excited about working in a scrappy startup environment and making massive contributions across the stack.
What Your Days Will Look Like
- Work with our Product Managers to break down project details and ensure requirements are complete.
- Develop and ship code to complete impactful projects.
- Mentor, pair with, and support the growth of other engineers.
- Apply good coding practices to ensure our codebase is readable, secure, and scalable.
- Improve our documentation and document design decisions and rationale.
- Take responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core Haystack features end to end, for maximum customer and business impact.
- Scope, design, and implement high-performance solutions to problems of significant technical complexity.
- Debug complex problems across the stack.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style and maintainability for a high-scale web environment.
- Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Write clear and comprehensive documentation.
What Our Team Uses
- Back End: Go, Kubernetes, Docker
- Utility: ElasticSearch, GraphQL
- See more of our stack at Stackshare
What The Role Requires
- Education: We believe talented employees come from all backgrounds. No formal education required.
- Experience: 3+ years working as a backend or full-stack engineer building a SaaS product or coding in Go.
- Excited to develop creative solutions and work on anything.
- Experience working in a user-oriented environment. You must be willing to collect, understand, and implement user feedback when building features.
- A strategic approach to engineering. We are making impactful product decisions every single day, we need engineers that think ahead.
- A pragmatic mindset and a solid understanding of technology tradeoffs.
- Experience owning end-to-end development of new features.
- An iterative mindset. We move fast with multiple launches on a daily basis, so we need to measure success and make changes accordingly.
- Excited about solving complex problems for a broad user base. Interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the problem space and the 'why' of your work.
- Understanding of the usefulness of testing, code quality, and continuous integration.
- Vigilant in identifying tech debt and always improving how we do things.
- Persistent in the face of roadblocks; collaborating with and engaging others as necessary.
- A self-motivated developer who can work independently.
- Detail-oriented with a meticulous approach to problem-solving.
Why Join Our Team?
Haystack is looking for intelligence, passion and creativity. We want our employees to serve as our chief product evangelists, and have each day’s work bring a renewed sense of inspiration. We are solving real world problems with technology and excellent design. Haystack is still small, and early employees will have huge earning potential. Our founding team is dedicated to finding unique ways to give you reasons to love working here. Our current benefits are below, but if you have ideas we want to hear them.
401k + 3% Match
Laptop + any hardware you might need
Regular Company Retreats