Project Developer, Deployment
San Francisco, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
We are looking for a Project Developer to lead all phases of new site development to bring Heirloom’s carbon technology to life! You’ll work collaboratively with the research and engineering teams to inform site selection and be responsible for all aspects of site readiness – contract negotiation with site hosts, utility and permitting feasibility assessments, managing construction, and handoff to site operations This role will require some travel, but will be based in San Francisco, CA. The responsibilities of this position may change over time. This role requires flexibility and adaptability to Heirloom’s evolving needs!
What you will do
- Develop and manage pipeline of potential new sites that will meet the needs of Heirloom’s first deployment.
- Build and maintain relationships with key internal and external deployment colleagues.
- Develop, refine and manage comprehensive site due diligence.
- Lead efforts to obtain all necessary approvals from utilities and permitting authorities.
- Work with other team members and outside attorneys to draft, negotiate and execute site host agreements.
- Work closely with other team members to assess and manage installation costs and timeline
What you will bring
- Highly collaborative mindset and strong communication skills.
- Experience in a construction environment.
- Has worked on a project from site selection to installation.
- An ability to “just get it done."
- Ability to examine all the relevant information related to a decision, weigh the pros and cons of each potential option, and choose the best option for the project and staff.
- Experience in contracts, real estate, utility planning, and local permitting preferred.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from companies like Tesla, Apple, Plenty and Google, and Universities like Penn and Berkeley. We’ve built technology used by millions of people around the world, and we’re using that experience to build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.