Modeling and Simulation Lead
San Francisco, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
You will work with a team of scientists and engineers to design and optimize our regeneration process using models and simulations. You will work alongside the team to inform detailed process requirements that will inform equipment and system design via both simplified and detailed modeling efforts. You will use results from models to inform experimental design and setup and use results from experimentation to inform model development and iteration. As we scale, you will help us design and build the infrastructure necessary to operate at the industrial levels necessary to effect global change on our CO2 footprint. Your work has the potential to directly shape our fight against climate change.
What you will do
- Develop integrated CFD and CFD-DEM models to evaluate fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and reaction kinetics for major process steps.
- Incorporate measured data from developmental testing of systems and processes in the laboratory into modeling software.
- Define simulations to meet systems and process engineering needs and support iterative systems development and verification.
- Develop and manage data flow through models and simulations.
- Summarize model and simulation activities.
What you will bring
- 5 - 7 years of experience working as a high level individual contributor, team lead, or mentor with the following experience.
- Working with CFD/CFD-DEM software, e.g., OpenFOAM, COMSOL, Ansys Fluent, MFiX, and/or Barracuda Virtual Reactor.
- Working on modeling and simulation specifically related to thermal-fluid systems and/or reactor design.
- Creating custom models for key process phenomenon and developing code to post-process model results.
- Designing experiments and protocol to validate model results.
- Working closely with engineers to clearly explain process requirements, as well as both model and experimental results.
- Programing using different languages, e.g., Fortran, C, C++, Python.
- Using Python for data analysis and visualization.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Expert in reaction engineering, reactor modeling, and reactor design.
- Advanced degree involving model development and simulation.
- Programming using a variety of languages (Python, C#).
- Experience or familiarity with cement production technologies, such as calcination, and their modeling and simulation.
- Experience in kinetic simulation with direct reference to carbon mineralization technologies.
- Knowledge of the landscape for carbon removal technologies
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from companies like Tesla, Apple, Plenty and Google, and Universities like Penn and Berkeley. We’ve built technology used by millions of people around the world, and we’re using that experience to build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.