Technical Program Manager (Research)
Brisbane, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change? At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there. We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
We are looking for a Research Technical Program Manager to lead our research programs and drive innovation on Heirloom’s technology! This role is both incredibly exciting and carries significant responsibility. You will be strategic from working with research scientists to identify and down-select promising concepts through developing process requirements that will enable our engineering team to design equipment for manufacturing. You’ll collaborate with our commercialization team on grant writing and administration, site selection, and partnerships. You’ll collaborate with our engineering team to build out schedules, milestones, and key deliverables for process requirements. You’ll work closely with the research team to develop a research strategy, build and maintain a schedule, identify blockers, and help unblock them yourself. You’ll be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and a superb project manager, but you’ll see the big picture as well.
What You Will Do:
- Build and maintain the project schedule, scope, and cost for our research programs
- Contribute to technical writing and inform the direction of grant applications and grant reporting
- Manage and track milestone progress for research funded under government and private sector grants
- Manage relationships with external partners, such as vendors and universities
- Work closely with the research team during fundamental exploration through process requirements to ensure solid engagement and provide feedback
- Oversee program budgets and spend
- Provide help where needed across a broad range of activities
- Respond calmly, but urgently to the needs of the research and engineering teams
What You Will Bring:
- You’ve planned and led technically complex, long term research projects.
- You are an experienced technical writer with excellent communication skills.
- You’ve managed vendors and third parties in different disciplines.
- You’ve experience working with multidisciplinary teams
- You have a highly collaborative mindset You’re able to examine all the relevant information related to a decision, weigh the pros and cons of each potential option, and choose the best option for the project and staff.
- You’re incredibly detail oriented and can bridge the gap between project management and technical communication
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.