Are you a talented estimator who loves taking leadership of developing cost control and project estimating capabilities for a company? Do you want to be a part of a mission-driven team making a real impact on the environment?
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
The role of Lead Estimator is a dynamic and pivotal opportunity to build estimates and cost targets for our groundbreaking project builds, you will be at the heart of our mission. You won't just be crunching numbers – you'll be crafting the financial roadmap that guides our projects to success.
You’ll manage all cost estimates, cost data, communications, and act as a point of contact between internal and external parties for specific projects or regions being supported. You will work closely with our R&D team, engineering, construction, procurement, and the operations teams throughout each project, and ensure cost information developed and managed meets the requirements of those specific project needs.
Climate change disproportionately impacts the world’s most vulnerable people. This role and our Heirloom Construction team is going to be behind one of the world’s fastest growing Direct Air Capture (DAC) project deployment across the country, directly removing billions of tons of CO2 from the atmosphere each year to hit climate goals.
What You Will Bring
With roughly a decade of experience in construction cost management, you possess a comprehensive skill set. This includes your ability to evaluate the accuracy of external cost projections from engineering and construction firms. You are proficient in executing a wide range of estimation methods, spanning from parametric assessments to detailed bottom-up analyses, even extending to complex speculative scenarios. You are adept at factoring in temporal and geographical variables that impact construction expenses, seamlessly integrating these considerations into every estimate. Your proficiency extends beyond technical aspects; you grasp the significance of the estimation process and its alignment with organizational objectives.
Your expertise extends to specialized domains such as materials handling facilities, CO2 processing plants, and large-scale manufacturing installations. Furthermore, you possess a holistic understanding of the construction lifecycle, and you are adept at comprehending and discussing architectural plans, P&IDs, and electrical one-line diagrams.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
$120,000 - $150,000 a year
Target compensation for this role is between $120,000 and $150,000 depending on level and experience.