Structural Engineer - Factory Design
Brisbane, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
You will be designing novel structures to play a critical role integrating with and supporting carbon capturing equipment. This includes large networked structures, minimizing building material usage and installation time. You will work closely with Mechanical, Controls, and Project engineers to deliver a ready-to-deploy structure and system. We are looking for someone with experience with buildings
What you will do
- Design efficient, repeatable structure with concrete, steel, and other materials enabling continual expansion of our structural footprint
- Collaborate closely with mechanical, controls and software team
- Structural analysis using FEA tools and hand calculations
- Derive loads from first principles and provide detailed sizing for fabrication
- Challenge the existing designs and provide analytical trade-off studies for different concepts
- Collaborate with civil engineers and site selection team to set requirements for the structure
- Manage BIM and drawing for fabrication
- Manage designs in 3D CAD software
What you will bring
- Experience in design of steel, aluminum and reinforced concrete structures
- Structural Engineering PE License
- Expertise in materials, coatings, manufacturing processes to drive discussions with stakeholders
- Working knowledge of weld materials, weld sizing and designing bolted connections
- Successful experience working with consultants, fabricators, and architects
- Deep fundamental knowledge of design decisions to determine which apply in varied scenarios
- Knowledge of structural steel warehouse design and modular construction
- Familiarity with Loads (ASCE 7), Concrete (ACI 318), American Steel Construction Manual
- Proficiency with Revit
You don’t need to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.