Mechanical Engineer - Component Design
San Francisco, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
At Heirloom, we are building out a team of engineers to remove 1 billion tons of carbon dioxide by 2035. In this role, you will work closely with a cross functional team to lead the design of cost-effective high volume components necessary to operate at the industry level scale. We are looking for someone who has experience in designing high volume parts for manufacturing and assembly and is excited about the opportunity to define the manufacturing processes that directly integrate with these parts.
What you will do
- Lead the design of our high volume components that interface with one another and essential to our CO2 capturing machines.
- Creatively drive the design of rapid proof of concept prototypes that can be iterated upon quickly prior to releasing tooling.
- Provide in depth design for manufacturing and assembly feedback to ensure that our designs are cost efficient, robust and capable of high quality results at scale.
- Weigh the cost, performance, and schedule trade-offs associated with different manufacturing processes to help drive both component and equipment design direction.
- Collaborate with our manufacturing engineers to identify and drive corrective actions for process quality and performance issues.
- Solve technically complex problems using fundamental, data driven methodologies.
What you will bring
- BS / MS in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent)
- Experience in designing parts for injection molding, thermoforming, and stamping processes
- 3+ years professional experience in design-for-manufacturing and lean manufacturing principle
- Ability to take an observational and analytical approach to problem definition.
- Experience transitioning automated systems from prototype to production
- Experience with 2D & 3D software (AutoCAD and Solidworks)
- Communicate effectively with direct team and peers within a manufacturing and engineering organization. This includes exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Experience working with directly with suppliers
- Experience design tools and dies
- New product introduction experience.
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from companies like Tesla, Apple, Plenty and Google, and Universities like Penn and Berkeley. We’ve built technology used by millions of people around the world, and we’re using that experience to build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.