Software and Controls Lead
San Francisco, CA /
Our mission is to accelerate our planet’s transition to a carbon negative society. We will capture 1B tons of CO2 from the atmosphere by 2035 (equivalent of ~60M Americans’ annual emissions today), and build a multi-billion dollar business along the way. The problem we are solving is that according to IPCC, billions of tons of CO2 need to removed from the atmosphere (in addition to decarbonizing the entire economy) by 2050 to keep global warming to 1.5 °C, but current technologies are too expensive and not scalable to the volume necessary.
Unlike traditional engineered removal solutions, our Nature published technology combines the natural properties of minerals (carbon mineralization) with engineering to provide a low cost path to $50/tCO2 for Direct Air Capture (DAC), the cost at which carbon removal will be transformative.
Our early customers are corporations and other entities that need to reduce and offset their carbon emissions to meet compliance requirements or carbon pledges. Our go-to-market strategy allows us to be unit profitable from day one, and reach >$1B in revenue just from existing markets and pledges. Our $100B opportunity lies with carbon markets set for creation in the EU, US, and other markets.
Over the next 18 months, we will de-risk our cost estimates, build our first deployment, and validate the commercial viability of this technology.
About the job
The Heirloom team is on a path to creating the world’s first sustainable, scalable, and economically viable carbon removal system. This technology - which requires a unique blend of geology, chemistry, industrial engineering, and process engineering - doesn’t yet exist at the scales necessary to make a difference, so we need to build it ourselves. We are looking for dedicated and driven hardware scientists and engineers to help us design and build systems that capture CO2 directly from the air and enable us to process it into a variety of products (carbon credits, carbon negative materials, etc).
You will lead a team focused on different software focus areas to develop the software and data infrastructure for factories that capture and measure the CO2 from the air we breathe. While our laboratory results demonstrate the general concept, we must scale from lab bench to industrial scales. You will help shape and drive exploratory research and development phases to evaluate and test new ideas and setups. You revel in both complexity and uncertainty and delight in breaking down and translating huge problems into actionable and testable systems requirements. As we scale, you will help us design and build the infrastructure necessary to operate at the industrial levels necessary to effect global change on our CO2 footprint. Your work has the potential to directly shape our fight against climate change.
- Lead a team of software engineers creating backend components for a custom traceability and operations system using an object oriented approach.
- Manage controls engineers focused on software and electrical systems used for automation equipment.
- Develop and maintain the infrastructure for equipment and process data. Guide teams that are using this data for analysis, we are looking for someone who understands the source of the data.
- Develop a strong understanding of the different processes at an industrial scale to build a full stack system from the sensor to end-user experience operating equipment and analyzing data.
- Work with your team and IT to define the cloud infrastructure needed for SCADA systems, data pipelines, user interfaces, and data reporting tools.
- BS or MS in computer science, electrical engineering, or equivalent.
- Proven ability to lead a large interdisciplinary team of software and controls engineers.
- Experience with industrial controllers (Beckhoff or equivalent)
- Integrating industrial controllers with high level systems (SCADA, MES).
- Experience with Git, experience with GitHub a plus.
- Public cloud experience (AWS or Azure)
- Experience working with a diverse set of databases, such as mySQL, Postgres, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results on time with high quality and attention to detail
- Building a team and product that scales with the need for software in a manufacturing or similar environment.
- You have developed or have been a leader of a team who has developed internal systems for manufacturing operations.
- You have worked within a manufacturing environment with a focus on automation and integration of systems.
- You have experience working with or on a devops team.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply! If not, but you know someone who might be interested, please share this post.
We are committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion and equity, starting with our commitment to fostering diversity within our Heirloom team. We are able to grow and learn better with a diverse team, which is exactly what our planet needs. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ+ people, and veterans.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.