San Francisco, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As temperatures continue to rise, individuals from marginalized communities will face the harshest impacts of climate change. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. To accomplish this, we’ve put recruiting, hiring and retaining individuals from underrepresented groups at the top of our priority list. We urge you to apply if you identify as Black, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, LGBTQ+ – or with any other underrepresented group – even if you don’t tick all the boxes in the description below.
You will lead operation for Heirloom's San Francisco facility, operate Heirloom's unit operations, and measure the monitor the amount of CO2 we capture from the air we breathe. You will help us operate the infrastructure necessary to scale the technology to the industrial levels necessary to effect global change on our CO2 footprint. Your work has the potential to directly shape our fight against climate change.
What you will do
- Direct and supervise the day-to-day activities in our San Francisco facilities.
- Lead and manage a team of operators, including scheduling.
- Monitor and maintain the production processes in a plant manufacturing facility.
- Oversee operators that operate Heirloom's carbon removal process to specification.
- Perform surveillance rounds in operating units to monitor and accurately record process conditions such as temperatures, pressures, and flow rates.
- Clean and maintain equipment, tools, and work area between jobs to avoid safety hazards and cross contamination, including
- Pull amples.
- Move material between operations both manually and using a fork lift
- Operate weighing, mixing, feeding, and high temperature equipment of various types.
- Handle powdered materials in a safe and timely manner.
- Ensure proper shift turnover by providing effective written and oral communication to the relieving shift.
- Understands process flow, basic chemistry associated with assigned units, equipment line-ups, and all unit safety equipment.
- Read and understand technical procedures and materials.
- Read and conduct Standard Operating Procedures, Work Instructions, Safety Documents, and Manufacturing Instructions
What you will bring
- Experience supervising operators.
- 5+ years of related industry experience, preferably operating chemical or mechanical processes.
- Experience working with equipment including pumps, compressors, condensers, high temperature reactors, forklifts, and/or conveyance systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be in good physical condition and with no restrictions in movement and be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Must be able to follow company rules regarding the safe handling of hazardous chemicals and must be computer proficient (Microsoft office, Internet, Windows 7)
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.