San Francisco, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
The Heirloom team is on a path to creating a sustainable, scalable, and economically viable carbon removal system. This technology - which requires a unique blend of geology, chemistry, industrial engineering, and process engineering - doesn’t yet exist at the scales necessary to make a difference, so we need to build it ourselves.
We are looking to hire a dedicated and driven laboratory manager to oversee the safe operation and maintenance of our analytical laboratory. This position requires excellent communication, management, and laboratory skills. You will have the opportunity to be hands-on in the laboratory, as well as oversee technicians and work directly with both our research and engineering teams. You and your team will contribute to Heirloom’s R&D program through performing routine analyses, supporting materials characterization studies, and developing our state-of-the-art internal analytical capabilities.
What You Will Do
- Build and manage a team of highly-skilled laboratory technicians to contribute to Heirloom’s R&D objectives.
- Develop standards and best practices, and set work quality expectations for the team.
- Define organizational requirements for the laboratory, oversee procurement of supplies and equipment, implement data management solutions, and maintain documentation.
- Train new technicians on equipment operation and safe laboratory procedures.
- Collaborate with other research team members to identify analytical needs and priorities.
- Work as a part of a team of world-class scientists and engineers to execute on our development plans, with an urgency rooted in the importance of our mission.
- ≥ 5 years of laboratory experience in an applied field with expertise in materials characterization, surface science, chemistry and/or geochemistry.
- ≥ 2 years of relevant managerial or leadership experience.
- Experience developing, implementing, and maintaining laboratory safety protocols.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- A passion for teamwork and collaboration.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent critical problem solving skills.
- An advanced degree in either Engineering/Applied Science (Chemical, Process, Materials Engineering, or related field), Science (Materials Science, Geology, Chemistry, Physics, or related field) or equivalent practical experience.
- Self-motivation and a willingness to learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks & Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.