Business Development and Partnerships Lead
San Francisco, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
The Heirloom commercialization team is a small, fast-paced group responsible for turning our technology into a business. The primary area of focus is developing revenue generating partnerships with voluntary buyers of carbon removal, and helping to shape the burgeoning market for high quality carbon removal. You’ll work closely with strategy, marketing, and ops to ensure our customer journey is frictionless and fast, and help develop our core go-to-market strategy. This role is based out of San Francisco and reports to the Head of Commercialization.
What you'll do
- Develop and execute against the strategic roadmap for business development and partnerships at Heirloom
- Lead exploratory discussions with existing or prospective partners to determine market fit, size, and readiness for Heirloom’s offerings.
- Educate customers on Heirloom and its competitive advantages.
- Cultivate senior-level executive relationships with partners.
- Shape product roadmap and go-to-market strategies based on market feedback.
- Work and serve as the liaison between our existing or prospective partners and Heirloom leadership.
- Develop pitch and positioning for new products or partner segments
- Manage pipelines of target partners, or grow existing partnerships
- Develop template agreements and negotiate first-of-a-kind partnerships, including deal economicsInform goals for growth and revenue (and its proxies); and advise on associated business resource needs
- Inform go/no-go and prioritization decisions on new partnerships
- You are entrepreneurially minded with a nose for opportunity and risk
- You are comfortable making decisions based on imperfect data
- You are a collaborator, and consensus builder
- You set and communicate clear visions and strategies for your teams
- You are naturally optimistic, but not blinded by conviction
- You cultivate mutually beneficial relationships
- You have 7+ years experience in early stage business development, account management, client success, or strategic partnerships in technology or high growth / early stage startups
- You have negotiated numerous first-of-a-kind deals and partnerships
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from companies like Tesla, Apple, Plenty and Google, and Universities like Penn and Berkeley. We’ve built technology used by millions of people around the world, and we’re using that experience to build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.