Technical Program Manager
San Francisco, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
We are looking for a Technical Program Manager to lead us in our first deployment and bring Heirloom’s carbon technology to life! This role is both incredibly exciting and carries significant responsibility.
You will draw on your experience executing complex, long-term, multi-disciplinary projects to own Heirloom’s first deployment from start to finish. You will own the success of this project from site selection through our first thousands of tons of CO2 removed. You’ll collaborate with our commercialization team on site selection, permitting, supply chain, and partnerships. You’ll work closely with our engineering teams to build and maintain a schedule, perform technoeconomic analysis, identify roadblocks, and help unblock them yourself. You’re incredibly well organized, detail-oriented, and a superb project manager, but able to see the big picture as well. You have previously brought a pilot or industrial process from start to finish, are eager and able to learn new tools, and creative and team-oriented.
What you will do
- Build and maintain the project schedule, scope, and cost of our first deployment.
- Manage relationships with external partners and vendors
- Work closely with with General Contractors or Construction Managers to keep plant bring-up on track.
- Working closely with the engineering team during development, build, and deployment phases to ensure solid engagement and provide feedback.
- Provide help where needed across a broad range of activities.
- Respond calmly, but urgently to the needs of the engineering and research teams
What you will bring
- Experience planning and leading technically complex, long term projects.
- Experience managing vendors and third parties in different disciplines.
- Highly collaborative mindset and strong communication skills.
- Experience working with large equipment manufacturers, including negotiation on cost and lead time.
- Experience in a construction environment.
- Has worked on a project from design to completion.
- An ability to “just get it done."
- Ability to examine all the relevant information related to a decision, weigh the pros and cons of each potential option, and choose the best option for the project and staff.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from companies like Tesla, Apple, Plenty and Google, and Universities like Penn and Berkeley. We’ve built technology used by millions of people around the world, and we’re using that experience to build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.