Head of Supply Chain
Brisbane, CA /
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
We are looking for a Head of Supply Chain to build and oversee a supply chain team as we prepare to bring Heirloom’s carbon removal technology to life! You will have immediate impact by helping build our first field deployments and pulling our first tons of carbon out of the atmosphere! You will support our engineering and research teams by building strategic relationships with suppliers and overseeing their progress to ensure timing and delivery targets are met while mitigating costs. You’ll collaborate with these teams to build and maintain a schedule, identify roadblocks, and help unblock them yourself. You’re incredibly well organized, detail-oriented, and a superb project manager, but able to see the big picture as well. You have previous experience building and managing excellent supply chain teams, and are excited about building one from scratch to help reverse climate change.
What you will do
- Craft our near term, medium term, and long term supply chain strategy
- Closely partner with engineering and deployment teams to build out a strategic vendor network to support rapid scale-up of our deployments
- Recruit and mentor effective supply chain managers, buyers, and planners
- Ensure Heirloom is every supplier's priority #1 :)
- Develop strategic relationships with suppliers to facilitate cost savings and timely delivery of parts and tools needed for deployment.
- Find creative ways to save timeline and cost such that our vendor network is not a constraint but an accelerant for deployment
- Anticipate future supply chain bottlenecks and build a reliable vendor network to stay within timeline and budgets
- Work with engineering to build bottoms up models for hardware costs at scale, buy vs. build analyses, etc. to guide strategic decisions
- Build a robust supply chain infrastructure - supplier quality/performance processes, inventory systems, seamless buying and receiving processes, etc
What you will bring
- 10+ years of experience building complex hardware supply chains - with many unique custom and off the shelf parts
- Experience building and managing supply chain teams
- Highly collaborative mindset and strong communication skills.
- An ability to “just get it done."
- Experience building a supply chain team from zero to one at a hardware startup a plus
- Experience in a construction environment a plus
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.