Software Engineer - Networking
Munich / Berlin / London / Paris /
Tech – Software Engineering /
Who we are
Helsing is a new type of defence and artificial intelligence company. We believe that software - and especially artificial intelligence - will shape our democracies’ future. Our purpose is to attain technology leadership so that democratic societies are free to make sovereign decisions and control their ethical standards.
Our mission is to attract Europe’s best purpose-driven tech talent and apply their capabilities to some of the most complex problems.
We are looking for people with their heart in the right place, who share our conviction that our democratic values are worth protecting, for ourselves and for future generations.
The impact you will make
The foundation for intelligent distributed systems is their ability to communicate. Our systems exchange information in a large variety of modalities: edge-to-edge and edge to cloud, in high-bandwidth and low-bandwidth environments, over the wire and through the air, optimized for latency or throughput, as sensor data streams or structured API requests, in embedded systems as well as containerized environments, etc.
In addition to the complexity of heterogeneity, our systems also need to communicate in the presence of adversarial actors that may spoof connections or deteriorate or incapacitate network links. This implies an obvious need for peer authentication, but also means that we need to think about channel allocation, quality of service, and routing as adaptive problems.
You will design, implement, operate, and continually monitor and improve Helsing’s networking layer. For example, this can be as simple as configuring and running networking stacks on embedded hardware or cloud infrastructure, or as challenging as designing and implementing adaptive, resilient protocols for edge networks. We are looking for individual contributors as well as team leads.
Who we are looking for
- Ability to write legible, maintainable, and portable code in C++, Rust, or Java that adheres to established coding standards
- Very strong experience with configuring networking stacks in heterogeneous environments, including embedded devices and cloud infrastructure
- Experience with the design and implementation of networking protocols at the operating-system level (eg, TCP/IP) or application level (eg, RTP)
- Experience with maintaining and operating production environments using Prometheus/Grafana/ELK, or similar
- Experience with container-based and cloud-native application architectures and network configurations
- Passion for development and staying on top of current technologies
- The chance to work in an innovative organisation focused on protecting our democracies
- The opportunity to drive impact in a fast-growing company with mission-orientated colleagues
- A diverse, collaborative, focused team located in the heart of Munich and offices in Berlin and London (and planned expansion in Paris)
- Flexible working hours and locations
- Supportive team structures and regular feedback
- Diverse team events and fun in and outside the office
- Competitive compensation and stock options
Helsing is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity.