Software Engineer - Geographic Information Systems
Munich / Berlin / London / Paris /
Tech – Software Engineering /
Who we are
Helsing is a new type of defence and artificial intelligence company. We believe that software - and especially artificial intelligence - will shape our democracies’ future. Our purpose is to attain technology leadership so that democratic societies are free to make sovereign decisions and control their ethical standards.
Our mission is to attract Europe’s best purpose-driven tech talent and apply their capabilities to some of the most complex problems.
We are looking for people with their heart in the right place, who share our conviction that our democratic values are worth protecting, for ourselves and for future generations.
The impact you will make
Effectively all data that our systems manage is indexed in space-time: sensors produce time series data tagged with the location it was recorded in, AI inference is parametrized by location and time of its inputs, sensor fusion is fundamentally a what∧where∧when correlation task, and applications and GUIs guide our users through information represented on maps and timelines.
We are looking for industry or academic expertise in GIS facets such as data modeling, algorithms, query languages, database systems (real-time/in-memory as well as long-term/stable), APIs, information exchange protocols, or user interfaces.
You will design and implement our GIS infrastructure, sometimes by selecting and assembling the right off-the-shelf components, and more often by building bespoke systems from the ground up. GIS systems have interfaces with many other components and you are comfortable working with teams across Helsing in order to architect for adaptable interoperability. We are looking for individual contributors as well as team leads.
Who we are looking for
- Ability to write legible, maintainable, and portable code in C++, Rust, or Java that adheres to established coding standards
- Very strong experience with designing, using, and implementing geographic information systems in areas such as databases, algorithms, user interfaces, APIs, data models, protocols, query systems, etc.
- Experience with maintaining and operating production environments using Prometheus/Grafana/ELK, or similar
- Experience with container-based and cloud-native application architectures
- Passion for development and staying on top of current technologies
- The chance to work in an innovative organisation focused on protecting our democracies
- The opportunity to drive impact in a fast-growing company with mission-orientated colleagues
- A diverse, collaborative, focused team located in the heart of Munich and offices in Berlin and London (and planned expansion in Paris)
- Flexible working hours and locations
- Supportive team structures and regular feedback
- Diverse team events and fun in and outside the office
- Competitive compensation and stock options
Helsing is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity.