Senior Backend Engineer (Go) - Remote
Toronto, ON /
At Horizon, we’re building a New Dimension where Internet economies are fun, accessible, and for the benefit of all participants.
We have two amazing products to make this real:
Sequence, which consists of i) the first user-friendly smart wallet for crypto, NFTs, Web3 + the metaverse, and ii) a developer platform to make building Web3 applications easy on Ethereum and other EVM chains.
And Skyweaver, a digital trading card game—powered by Sequence—where players can win, own, trade and sell their NFT game items.
Sequence is poised to drive Web3 adoption on a massive scale by making blockchain easy, fun and powerful for users and developers. And, Skyweaver is a groundbreaking video game with an unprecedented player-owned economy, novel gameplay, and an already fervent community.
While the challenge is hard, we find it incredibly fun. And, we have the ingredients to make it happen: a well-capitalized company with some of the best investors in the world (Reddit co-founder, Coinbase, Initialized, and more), an amazing team of leaders in the blockchain space, engineers who have built widely popular open source, a former top McKinsey strategy consultant, gaming industry veterans, and founders who have built and sold successful companies. You'll get to work with and learn from them all. Learn more at https://horizon.io/
About the Role
We're looking for someone with experience architecting, writing, testing and shipping production-quality code in Go. You are rigorous and have a refined eye for simple architecture and clean code. You enjoy building scalable, fault-tolerant, and elegant systems. You enjoy and appreciate a strong developer experience and the ergonomics of a well-built system.
You will be joining the expert Go team at Horizon, previously who in our spare time + for fun, authored OSS projects like chi (https://github.com/go-chi/chi), upper/db (https://github.com/upper/db), webrpc (https://github.com/webrpc/webrpc), goware (https://github.com/goware), and much more. Our Go codebases are extremely clean and the patterns we've built have been shaped over 7 years of writing production Go systems and open source projects. These are the patterns which we apply to our infrastructure at Horizon in our products Skyweaver and Sequence.
As a senior engineer, you have a deep understanding of designing robust, well-designed code with thoughtful architecture. You can drive and self-direct major areas of our stack. While not a strict requirement, you are comfortable working with and guiding more intermediate and junior engineers when needed.
· Architect, develop, and implement the infrastructure systems for Sequence
· Design and implement services that are scalable, and fault-tolerant
· Build services that interface with the Ethereum blockchain
· Contribute to open source works in the Sequence stack
· Extend and evolve our toolchain, to run our stack effectively
· Design architectural foundations that are robust and sound, so that future engineers can build on your work with ease and speed
· 5+ years shipping production-grade code in Go
· Experience with either distributed systems or blockchain systems, both in their design and practical use
· Experience with one of the major cloud providers, AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.
· Growth mindset. You love to learn, and actively search out new material and technologies
· Nice to have: experience with Ethereum or other blockchain systems
· A chance to deliver massive impact at a small and quickly growing company
· Work on hard, big, meaningful problems that can shift markets
· Competitive salary and equity package
· Accelerate your career by joining at the early stages
· Be part of defining Web3, the next generation of the Internet, and creating symbiotic economies where both users and creators share in the value generated by networks
· Work with an outstanding team made of wonderful people who have built and sold successful companies, launched amazing products, and have rich experience in infrastructure, architecture, blockchain, games, finance, investing, strategy, consulting, design, marketing, community, and more.
· Work life balance unlike the “crunch” culture you find at larger studios
· New PC, and generous allowance for work-from-home setup
· Extensive health benefits for Canadian employees
· We’re conscious about mental health and have modern vacation policies
· We invest in everyone’s personal development
· Learn more about our values and the traits we embody at https://careers.horizon.io/
We are committed to diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, genders and faiths. While we're building incredible products, we also want to add to our wonderful team and company. The best way to do that is to attract talented folks from all areas and to have their experiences inform their work.