Head of Data & Analytics
Toronto, ON /
At Horizon, we’re building a New Dimension where Internet economies are fun, accessible, and for the benefit of all participants.
We have two amazing products to make this real:
Sequence, which consists of i) the first user-friendly smart wallet for crypto, NFTs, Web3 + the metaverse, and ii) a developer platform to make building Web3 applications easy on Ethereum and other EVM chains.
And Skyweaver, a digital trading card game—powered by Sequence—where players can win, own, trade and sell their NFT game items.
Sequence is poised to drive Web3 adoption on a massive scale by making blockchain easy, fun and powerful for users and developers. And, Skyweaver is a groundbreaking video game with an unprecedented player-owned economy, novel gameplay, and an already fervent community.
While the challenge is hard, we find it incredibly fun. And, we have the ingredients to make it happen: a well-capitalized company with some of the best investors in the world (Reddit co-founder, Coinbase, Initialized, and more), an amazing team of leaders in the blockchain space, engineers who have built widely popular open source, a former top McKinsey strategy consultant, gaming industry veterans, and founders who have built and sold successful companies. You'll get to work with and learn from them all. Learn more at https://horizon.io/
Who we're looking for
The focus of this role is leading our data analytics efforts across various products: Analyzing large amounts of blockchain data on the Ethereum blockchain, and related sidechains, like Polygon, for our Sequence products; and player game data in Skyweaver, a digital trading card game.
You will have a front-row seat to a fascinating sector--web3, blockchain gaming--working alongside some of the best web3 thinkers, in a sector with massive growth. This role will oversee the work of a team of 2-4+ team members (data analysts and data scientists), provide direction, and review analysis.
As a leader, you will work directly with leadership and other team leads, working with them to drive actionable outcomes through data. Your leadership will span Product, Marketing, and Finance, bridging data needs, and working to run analyzes. You will translate how the questions asked by teams can be answered through data, helping them move fast, be effective, and be impactful.
Eventually, your team will drive insights, proactively uncovering patterns hidden in our data that help drive business outcomes.
Given the cross-functional nature of the role--aligning roadmaps across teams--we have a strong bias for leaders with a proven track record of meaningful business impact. As such, candidates with soft-skills and strategic foresight, will do best in this role, and not only have operational experience.
Importantly, we value colleagues who are helpful, humble, and collaborative. You will be well supported, and surrounded by a team that will nurture your success.
- Work cross-functionally with key stakeholders, aligning roadmaps, and partnering effectively with teams across the company, including product, finance, marketing, business development, as well as Horizon’s leadership team
- Designing, communicating, and executing data strategies
- Recruit, and manage a diverse data team within an inclusive team culture where people are recognized for their contribution
- Provide input to our data engineers as we scale our systems and tools
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through collaboration, training, coaching, and more
- Help the team turn the data into insights and present those insights to business stakeholders
What you bring
- 8+ years of experience in highly analytical roles, preferably with experience in tech analytics
- Experience leading data teams
- You are able to perform complex analyses, understand the importance of various factors, recommend decisions & are able to present them to business stakeholders
- Expert knowledge of SQL, and the ability to "jump in" when needed
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and methods, and core concepts in data science
- Deep familiarity with a BI tool like Tableau, Looker, etc.
- An interest in web3, and blockchain technologies
- Nice-to-have: Strong understanding of the Ethereum blockchain and related sidechains, their data structures, meta-data, and technical workings
· A chance to deliver massive impact at a small and quickly growing company
· Competitive salary and equity package
· Accelerate your career by joining at the early stages
· Be part of defining Web3, the next generation of the Internet, and creating symbiotic economies where both users and creators share in the value generated by networks
· Work with an outstanding team made of wonderful people who have built and sold successful companies, launched amazing products, and have rich experience in infrastructure, architecture, blockchain, games, finance, investing, strategy, consulting, design, marketing, community, and more.
· Work life balance unlike the “crunch” culture you find at larger studios
· New PC, and generous allowance for work-from-home setup
· Health, dental, and vision benefits
· We’re conscious about mental health and have modern vacation policies
· We invest in everyone’s personal development and subsidize courses, books, and conferences, so you never stop learning
· Work on hard, big, meaningful problems that can shift markets
· Learn more about our values and the traits we embody at https://careers.horizon.io/
We are committed to diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, genders and faiths. While we're building incredible products, we also want to add to our wonderful team and company. The best way to do that is to attract talented folks from all areas and to have their experiences inform their work.