Human Resources Associate
Largo, MD /
Established in 2009, the Institute for Public Health Innovation (IPHI) is a regional non-profit organization that develops multi-sector partnerships and innovative solutions to improve the public’s health and well-being across Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. IPHI’s work strengthens health systems and policy, enhances conditions that promote health, and strengthens government and community capacity to ensure equitable health opportunities for all. IPHI is the official designated public health institute serving the region as recognized by the National Network of Public Health Institutes.
The Institute for Public Health Innovation (IPHI) is hiring a motivated self-starter to serve as a Human Resources Associate (HR Associate). IPHI has recruited, employed and trained over 500 public health workers who are deployed to assist the Fairfax County Health Department with their COVID-19 emergency response. The HR Associate is a temporary position funded through IPHI’s contract with Fairfax County.
The HR Associate’s primary responsibility is effective, responsive, and accommodating employee support and engagement. The HR Associate must have an employee-support focus and proven experience in successfully fielding multiple requests with competing deadlines. The HR Associate will be a resourceful self-starter with strong project and time management skills. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment and bring a blend of patience, curiosity, and accountability to this new role. This full-time employee will report directly to IPHI’s HR & Operations Manager while working closely with many members of the IPHI team.
This is a full-time, temporary position with generous benefits and a competitive salary of $50,000 - $55,000, commensurate with experience.
This position will be based in the Washington, DC area, either from IPHI’s Washington, DC or Largo, MD office. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the HR Associate will primarily work remotely, so a technologically stable at-home work environment is required. There will occasional needs for in-person site visits and meetings with the HR & Operations Manager. All safety precautions will be followed in such circumstances.
If you are a persistent, even-tempered HR professional interested in gaining hands-on experience in a rapidly growing HR environment, please read on.
- The HR Associate will work across several HR functions:
- Field and triage questions from staff.
- Answer & acknowledge requests as they come through.
- Conduct research to quickly and accurately respond to employee requests.
- Troubleshoot technical glitches that arise in HRIS platforms.
- Draft strategic communications to support employee relations.
- Develop new hire and orientation materials.
- Complete employment verifications and other third-party requests.
- Conduct research to ensure that IPHI is current with HR compliance and policy.
- Support annual review of Employee Handbook.
- Suggest and draft policies to support IPHI’s vision and mission.
- Assist with ongoing enrollment data tracking and audits.
- Direct employees to pertinent benefit information and resources.
- Escalate administrative issues to HR and Operations Manager.
- Coordinate management of IPHI’s Applicant Tracking Systems.
- Draft job descriptions and other recruitment materials.
- Coordinate hiring processes and support Hiring Managers, accordingly.
- Research technology bugs and work with the vendor to reach resolution.
- Support meeting preparation, including logistics and agenda development.
- Support organizational and program operations, such as expense reporting and timesheets.
- Support and collaborate with HR & Operations Manager across all HR functions and related special projects.
Employee relations, engagement, and communication
Compliance and policies
Other responsibilities as required
- Undergraduate degree in business, human resources, organizational leadership, or related field.
- At least two years of experience in an HR role.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Proven ability to triage and successfully prioritize a high volume of requests from staff and vendors.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability work independently and escalate critical issues as needed.
- Empathy and an approachable demeaner.
- Attentive, honest, and discrete. The HR Associate will have access to sensitive employee data; confidentiality is required.
- Willingness to adapt and grow.
- Experience with HRIS, timesheet programs, record-keeping, expense reporting, & Applicant Tracking Systems.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resumé and cover letter. In your cover letter, please share a story about a time when you navigated a tricky work situation with patience and flexibility.
The Institute for Public Health Innovation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.