TRAINING, CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN MANAGER
Washington, DC /
Training and Workforce Development /
Established in 2009, the Institute for Public Health Innovation (IPHI) is a regional non-profit organization that develops multi-sector partnerships and innovative solutions to improve the public’s health and well-being across Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. IPHI’s work strengthens health systems and policy, enhances conditions that promote health, and strengthens government and community capacity to ensure equitable health opportunities for all. IPHI is the official designated public health institute serving the region as recognized by the National Network of Public Health Institutes.
The Institute for Public Health Innovation (IPHI) is currently seeking a Training, Curriculum and Instructional Design Manager to manage a portfolio of training programs that cross IPHI’s programmatic areas of focus. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and coordinating the design and development of various training programs to be delivered in a variety of formats, including classroom, online/e-learning, virtual classroom, live instructor-led and blended learning environments.
The Training, Curriculum and Instructional Design Manager is responsible for providing complex management, coordination, and administrative work in planning, evaluating, developing, coordinating, and implementing training programs and services across IPHI’s programs. The manager shall work in a collaborative environment with IPHI training staff, subject matter experts, course managers, and contractor teams to grow IPHI’s training footprint. The position requires a proven, forward-thinking, and dynamic individual to provide proactive leadership and vision in developing new and innovative training content in collaboration with IPHI staff. This includes having excellent analytical, interpersonal, organizational, and writing skills; knowledge of health equity and the public health field; and sound judgment.
This is a full-time, exempt position with excellent benefits. Salary range of $70-85K expected but negotiable based on experience.
Job location is flexible within the region. IPHI has offices in Washington, DC; Largo, MD; and Richmond, VA. During to the COVID-19 pandemic, this employee can work remotely.
- Training Program Management (70%):
- Oversee the administration of training across IPHI programs including management of training schedules and communication with partners and trainers.
- Support the development of the training and workforce development portfolio at IPHI.
- Coordinate with the programmatic staff on the development, implementation, and evaluation of new and existing training programs to ensure standardization of instructional materials, identification of gaps, lesson plans, and delivery leveraging existing learning platforms.
- Coordinate required resources, project plans, cost estimates, schedules, and production efforts for new training.
- Coordinate and assist in the development and distribution of various publications (e.g., training reports, workbooks, instructional guides, newsletters); direct the preparation of comprehensive reports (e.g., evaluations, needs assessments) to document training events or specific training needs.
- Establish project plans and lead teams in the development of new learning content and monitor completion of milestones and deliverables.
- Manage and populate training course data in learning management system.
- Curriculum & Instructional Design (30%):
- Conduct the research necessary to develop and revise training courses including performing in-depth needs analysis to uncover learner and organizational needs, identify performance gaps and changes in work processes, procedures and technologies.
- Work with IPHI staff and experts to develop the overall design for training curriculum to meet identified training needs using instructional design methodology that focuses on innovative ways to deliver and deploy learning, incorporating creativity and flexibility through all phases of each project, including analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation.
- Apply adult learning methodology to identify and write learning objectives, storyboard content and design and develop learning approaches for classroom, online/web-based e-learning, virtual classroom, live instructor-led and blended learning environments.
- Consult with subject matter experts and stakeholders to ensure accuracy and usability of the targeted learning intervention and to determine the best learning solution for each training situation
- Facilitate the conversion of traditional training materials to alternate learning formats (e.g., computer assisted instruction, Webcast delivery, video streaming, Internet, and/or state of the art technology/other means).
- Manage the preparation of instructor materials (course outline, background material, and training aids) and required job aids, templates, and reference materials supporting different training platforms and formats.
- Coordinate the development of learner materials (course manuals, workbooks, handouts, completion certificates, and course critique forms).
- Direct the creation of video scripts and storyboards, and manage the recording, production, and editing of training videos.
- Analyze the design and development of training and development programs, products, and services to evaluate effectiveness. This will include integrating evaluation methods and tools within the training to measure the impact and effectiveness on trainees through knowledge checks or other assessment.
- Keep abreast of training and development research, learning theory, motivation theory, and new materials, methods, and techniques.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Education (with a concentration in Adult Education or Training and Development), Instructional Design, Educational Technology/Learning Technology or a related training field. Advanced degree in Education, Education Management, Public Health, Instructional Design, Graphic Design, Digital Multimedia Design or related discipline is a plus.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in management, learning and development with a specialization in curriculum design, competency-based learning, instructional design, and multimedia development.
- Experience with public health programs and commitment to health equity is preferred.
- Demonstrated competence in one or more of the following areas: adult learning, training needs assessment, micro-learning, learning design principles, training design, development, delivery and evaluation. Knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices in adult learning theory, instructional technology, instructional theory and practice.
- Experience managing complex projects from inception to completion, including excellent time management/prioritization skills, attention to detail, developing plans and timelines, ability to plan and meet deadlines, flexibility to adapt, determining resource requirements, assigning tasks, monitoring progress and reporting results.
- Competence and experience in designing and developing for Instructor-led training (ILT), online, and blended learning environments compliant with Section 508 Accessibility requirements.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, interpersonal collaboration, problem-solving, planning/organizing, and facilitation skills commitment to continuous process improvement and innovation.
- Comfort with ambiguity and change; ability to make quick adjustments to meet learner and business needs.
- Experience with online courseware development applications and skill using computer programs in the development of training curriculum including word processing, presentation software and learning platform technologies. Willingness and ability to develop necessary skill with relevant tools and software as needed.
- Experience with evaluating and recommending emerging technologies that have potential value for online learning and to support the needs of programs.
- Ability to research evolving industry standards related to instructional design, training and development, blended learning, knowledge management and eLearning practices.
- Experience collaborating with subject matter experts as well as experience in training delivery and/or group facilitation.
- Knowledge of the design, development and implementation of methods and practices of evaluation and measurement of learning.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse partners and strong service ethic when interacting with internal and external stakeholders. Trustworthy, ethical, and authentic in all situations.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and short recent and relevant writing sample (no more than 4 pages).
The Institute for Public Health Innovation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.