Software Engineering Director, Lab Platform (LIMS)
South San Francisco, CA /
Software Engineering – Lab and Data Platform /
Software Engineering plays a key role in insitro’s approach to rethinking drug development. Our team is responsible for the software platform at insitro, which covers everything from providing orchestration and workflow software for our automated lab (LIMS, data review/visualization), data pipelines for ingesting data from pharma and research collaborators, bioinformatic pipelines for our genomic datasets, and APIs and tooling for our data science and machine learning teams.
As a Software Engineering Director of Lab Platform (LIMS), you will work closely with a cross-functional team of scientists, automation engineers, and machine learning engineers to build the software platform for an automated lab. Our software platform performs lab-wide visualization and orchestration of cell line management, compound dosing, and various phenotyping and screening assays (microscopy, sequencing). Our team works across the stack from collaboration with automation engineers to integrate robotics, to managing data in our cloud data stores and compute pipelines.
You will grow and mentor a team of software engineers to design, implement, and deploy software systems supporting all aspects of our lab work. As part of an early engineering organization, you will also be defining the work and collaboration norms of the team, such as approaches to Continuous Integration and Delivery for a physical lab, collaboration in cross-functional projects, defining team vision, goals, and roadmap.
You will be joining a biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, providing many opportunities for meaningful impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- Collaborate with Scientists, Automation Engineers, and Product Managers to support data capture and automation in the lab.
- Plan for code and data organization and discoverability. Strong focus on data provenance.
- Support an environment that values Software Engineering craft: maintainable, reliable, testable, scalable code
- Lead a team through software development processes: Brainstorming and proposals, proof of concepts / experiments, requirement gathering, tech specs, design reviews, code reviews, demos / user acceptance testing / validation testing, deploys, observability.
- Lead yearly and quarterly planning, setting impactful goals, aligning with collaborating teams and stakeholders
- Build a welcoming and passionate team by defining and leading hiring, onboarding, career development, and feedback
- Facilitate effective technical conversations in a team setting
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in computer science, computational biology, or computational chemistry, or equivalent practical experience
- >5 years of relevant experience, with >2 years in a management role
- Expertise in one or more general-purpose programming languages (such as Python, Java, Scala, C/C++, or Go)
- Demonstrated ability to write high-quality, production-ready code (readable, well-tested, with well-designed APIs)
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and job functions
- Familiarity with cloud computing services (AWS or GCP)
- Familiarity with relational databases.
- Familiarity with web services and application frameworks (Django, Flask).
- Proficiency in Linux environment (including shell scripting), and experience with version control practices and tools (Git, Mercurial, etc.)
- Experience with working lab and scientist stakeholders in a life sciences or physical sciences field.
- Passion for making a difference in the world.
Benefits at insitro
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees
- Excellent mental health and well-being support
- Open vacation policy
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
- Competitive pay and 401(k) matching
- Flexible work schedule (on site and remote)
insitro is a data-driven drug discovery and development company using machine learning and data at scale to transform the way that drugs are discovered and developed for patients. insitro is developing predictive machine learning models to discover underlying biologic state based on human cohort data and in-house generated cellular data at scale. These predictive models can be brought to bear on key bottlenecks in pharmaceutical R&D to advance novel targets and patient biomarkers, design therapeutics, and inform clinical strategy. insitro is advancing a wholly owned and partnered pipeline of biologic insights and molecules in neuroscience and metabolic diseases. Since formation in mid 2018, insitro has raised over $700 million from top tech, biotech, and crossover investors and from collaborations with pharmaceutical partners. For more information on insitro, please visit the company’s website at www.insitro.com.