Director of Antibody Application Development
Boston, MA /
Antibody Application Team /
The Institute for Protein Innovation (IPI)is a nonprofit research organization advancing protein science to accelerate research and improve human health. Founded in 2017 by Harvard Medical School professors Tim Springer and Andrew Kruse, we are located in Boston’s Longwood Medical Area.
The Institute’s three-pronged approach is to build protein tools, conduct related internal research, and develop educational programs for the protein science and broad biological research communities. With a significant endowment, IPI uniquely combines the freedom of academia with the high throughput and scale of industry to take on transformative projects. IPI has built a robust platform for discovering, developing, and distributing synthetic antibodies and other protein tools to share with the biomedical community. The Institute's deep protein expertise, collaborative spirit and research tools are powering new biomedical and therapeutic discoveries with a growing community of researchers at Harvard Medical School, Boston Children's Hospital and across Greater Boston, and beyond.
The Director, Application Development will be responsible for a new team tasked to ensure IPI provides high quality antibodies for the global biomedical research community, including academia and industry. The job will include managing the design and implementation of antibody characterization assays to ensure that our products' performance is aligned with industry and academic scientists' requirements. The ideal candidate will serve to align our technologies and strategies with other team leaders across the Institute. IPI has a fast-paced, intellectually driven, and collaborative research culture. Candidates who are engaged, enthusiastic and willing to multitask will fit in well.
● Leads the design and execution of cellular assays to validate antibodies in the IPI pipeline, using flow cytometry, ELISA-based techniques, western blotting, immunohistochemistry and other applications
● Supervises biophysical characterization of our candidate antibodies using surface plasmon resonance, bio-layer interferometry, calorimetry, mass spectrometry and related methods
● Recruits and manages external collaborators reviewing and beta-testing antibodies for validation
● Provides leadership for the transition of antibody cohorts from development to production and ultimately to distribution
● Maintains current knowledge of the reagent antibody, synthetic biology and cell biology scientific literature
● Fosters collaborations with thought leaders in biological areas that are a focus for IPI
● Acts as an active member of the Antibody Platform Leadership team, providing strategic insight into business directives and growth initiatives
● Manages the application development process, including required documentation Maintain and monitor group operational documentation and laboratory equipment.
● Builds out a robust antibody Application Development team by recruiting additional talent, monitoring the performance of team members, mentoring, motivating the team and identifying the talent for potential career advancement
● Able to communicate and professionally represent the Application Development team in cross-team projects, organization-wide activities and external Institute promotion
● Must have 10 years of industry and/or academic experience and five years managing scientists in a product development area or significant research program management
● PhD in biological or life sciences field required
● Expertise in cell biology and antibody validation techniques required
● Knowledge of antibody discovery techniques and workflows is required
● Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Must have exceptional organizational and time-management skills and exhibit careful attention to detail
● Must be an innovative, motivated, highly organized and enthusiastic team player with the ability to handle multiple projects and drive collaboration within and outside IPI
● Must be willing and able to learn new skills to meet the organization's dynamic needs
● Familiarity with project management software would be helpful
● Moderate travel required to visit collaborators, attend industry meetings and shows
We are committed to providing our employees with a highly competitive compensation package and outstanding benefits to support you and your family’s well-being and financial health. Highlights of our offering include:
· 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans
· Flexible spending accounts and healthcare reimbursement accounts
· 401(k) plan with generous 6% match – immediately vested
· Generous PTO package
· Commuter and parking reimbursement
· Educational assistance
· Career development opportunities
For more information, visit proteininnovation.org or follow us on social media, @ipiproteins.
IPI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit research organization and an equal-opportunity employer. The Institute celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
IPI does not accept unsolicited resumes from third party recruitment firms.