Human Resources Leader
Boston, MA /
Human Resources /
The Institute for Protein Innovation (IPI)is a nonprofit research organization advancing protein science to accelerate research and improve human health. Founded in 2017 by Harvard Medical School professors Tim Springer and Andrew Kruse, we are located in Boston’s Longwood Medical Area.
The Institute’s three-pronged approach is to build protein tools, conduct related internal research, and develop educational programs for the protein science and broad biological research communities. With a significant endowment, IPI uniquely combines the freedom of academia with the high throughput and scale of industry to take on transformative projects. IPI has built a robust platform for discovering, developing, and distributing synthetic antibodies and other protein tools to share with the biomedical community. The Institute's deep protein expertise, collaborative spirit and research tools are powering new biomedical and therapeutic discoveries with a growing community of researchers at Harvard Medical School, Boston Children's Hospital and across Greater Boston, and beyond.
The HR Leader will cultivate a workplace capable of attracting and retaining top scientific and professional talent, grounded in IPI’s mission to advance protein science and improve human health. Reporting directly to the President and CEO, this role serves on the Leadership Team of the Institute and will be responsible for creating an effective HR strategy for scaling a growing nonprofit organization and HR function, while leading the hiring, retention, reward, development and engagement of an expanding team of approximately 50 full-time employees. At IPI, we believe that innovation needs all perspectives. IPI champions strong work culture, stewarding an environment where scientists and professionals benefit from mentorship, career development and a rich network of resources.
● Develops and implements hiring and interviewing processes designed to attract and onboard talent at all levels of the organization
● Develops position-specific recruiting strategies using LinkedIn, Lever, industry networks and other creative channels, such as internships and college hire programs
● Successfully generates interest in IPI
● Prescreens such that hiring managers are delivered a short list of candidates for interviews
● Leverages talent data to best inform hiring managers and guide them to make intelligent hiring decisions
● Conducts in-depth talent screens and in-person interviews and facilitates internal team discussions regarding candidates
● Negotiates offers for final candidates
Employee Engagement and Career Counseling
● Facilitates individual and team understanding of levels of engagement and satisfaction
● Develops formal processes, including meetings and surveys, to assess employee engagement and recommends action to address issues or concerns
● Conducts career exploration meetings with team members to facilitate their career development
● Develops tools or identifies resources for employees to help plan their career and skill development
● Counsels managers in areas concerning their teams’ development and retention approaches
Performance Management and Goal Setting
● Refines and updates performance management and goal-setting process
● Educates and counsels managers on effective performance management techniques
● Automates performance management tools when possible
● Assesses market competitiveness of benefits offerings; adds and amends programs to address gaps or gain a competitive edge
● Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of benefits programs in place and the laws of federal, state and local governing benefits administration
● Conducts all activities related to annual open enrollment, including plan design and carrier negotiations in conjunction with broker
● Develops marketing materials for employees
● Holds group and individual meetings to educate the team on benefits programs and changes
● Oversees all enrollment for benefits programs, including new hire enrollment, changes to existing benefits choices for employees and terminations
● Serves as plan administrator for IPI’s 401k plan
Compensation and Payroll Administration
● Delivers compensation programs and practices following a compensation philosophy
● Maintains a strong pulse on the labor market and influences on compensation and spending plans
● Develops an annual salary plan with merit and promotional increases updated quarterly to manage salary spending within budget, address equity and market issues and gain executive approval
● Handles all annual filing for ACA, W-2 and other reporting requirements
● Coordinates payroll processing information with the finance team
HRIS via ADP Workforce Now
● Sets up all new hires, executes changes to employee records and maintains accurate electronic files for all team members
● Runs reports for executives, finance team and the HR department to accurately capture and summarize employee payroll, headcount, and HR information and to analyze information and make recommendations for action
● Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of seven years of progressive experience as an HR professional and in a managerial capacity or a Master’s degree in related areas and a minimum of five years of HR experience.
● Certification as a senior HR professional preferred
● A desire to be part of a scientific work community engaged in a critical mission and exciting growth plan
● Knowledgeable about contemporary challenges and approaches to managing employee engagement and creating an optimal employee experience
● Formal and informal communication channel creation to gain insight into employee concerns
● Ability to manage high-volume, rare-resource recruiting, including identification of passive candidates with exceptional sourcing skills – prefer experience with LinkedIn Recruiter and Lever
● Exceptional relationship skills to gain trust and confidence in the team
● Analytical skills to assess competitive position as it relates to pay, benefits and talent acquisition
● Strong verbal and written communication skills – you are outgoing and persuasive with the ability to excite and engage candidates in the reasons they should want to join the IPI
● An evidence-based approach to decision-making to influence outcomes in a positive direction.
● Strong computer skills, including Google suite and solid experience with Microsoft Office, as well as HRIS systems (ADP Workforce Now preferred)
● Interest and ability to coach managers on all people-related matters
● Experience delivering or finding appropriate training and development programs for managerial and other professional development
We are committed to providing our employees with a highly competitive compensation package and outstanding benefits to support you and your family’s well-being and financial health. Highlights of our offering include:
· 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans
· Flexible spending accounts and healthcare reimbursement accounts
· 401(k) plan with generous 6% match – immediately vested
· Generous PTO package
· Commuter and parking reimbursement
· Educational assistance
· Career development opportunities
For more information, visit proteininnovation.org or follow us on social media, @ipiproteins.
IPI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit research organization and an equal-opportunity employer. The Institute celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
IPI does not accept unsolicited resumes from third party recruitment firms.