DevOps Support Engineer - Remote (USA)
Madison, WI - HQ /
Customer Success /
Full Time - Remote
Ionic apps range from side projects to apps that power huge businesses. When Ionic’s developer-customers run into problems and need our help, they turn to our Developer Support team. This team’s goal is to help developers keep their apps running and their end-users happy as quickly and effectively as possible.
The DevOps Support Engineer (DSE) is a key member of the Customer Success team. DSEs work directly with developers using Ionic to create their applications and help them troubleshoot technical issues. The primary focus of this role is to help our customers solve critical and complex technical challenges related to continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD). The main goal of this role is to enable customers to deliver Ionic applications faster, automate releases, and set up Ionic Appflow for continuous mobile deployments. In addition to support, DSEs also communicate with and assist Ionic’s Product and Engineering teams to ensure developer needs are met across the board.
If you enjoy an entrepreneurial environment where your opinion counts, and get motivated by jumping in and solving complex problems for developers, the DevOps Support Engineer position is for you.
In your role as a DevOps Support Engineer, you’ll be measured on your ability to:
• Resolve tickets related to building, packaging and deploying applications
• Reproduce and validate Ionic software bugs submitted by clients
• Coordinate with engineering on resolution and work with leads to escalate by communicating client business impact
• Identify, aggregate and flag customer trends to PM (ex outage indicators, feature enhancements, etc)
• Proactively review customer usage and CI/CD setups to make strategic recommendations, increase adoption and introduce new features
Your areas of ownership will include:
• Become an expert in Ionic’s platform and Appflow (DevOps product) to enable and assist Ionic’s customers to build and deploy their own applications
• Respond to customers' technical support requests and feature-related questions
• Proactively onboard Appflow customers and help them implement CI/CD flow in their unique CI/CD setup and environment
• Debug customer issues involving multiple platforms such as web, Android, and iOS, and create reproducible test cases for our engineering team to resolve
• Be resourceful and find innovative ways to resolve issues
• Contribute to Ionic’s product quality and roadmap. Share feedback and influence engineering, customer success, product management teams to improve customer experience
• Enhance documentation to minimize repeating customer inquiries. Contribute to knowledge base, document standards, processes, and procedures related to best practices
• Assist in planning and validation of Ionic’s product releases.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
• Ability to empathize with developers and interact with people at all levels throughout the customer’s organization
• Strong writing skills. Capable of explaining highly technical concepts in a concise and cogent manner.
• Continuous improvement mindset. Love to automate tasks and prepare for scaling work Experience with release automation practices
• Understanding of continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment techniques
• Familiar with with CI/CD engine tools (Jenkins, Azure DevOps), cloud providers (AWS, Azure), and database engine tools (ProstgresSQL, Aurora)
• Understanding of CI/CD pipelines and capabilities.
• Comfortable with bash and working from the command line.
A big plus if you have (desired skills)....
• Understanding of front end web development with some experience debugging web and mobile apps
• Experience with troubleshooting, supporting and maintaining hybrid mobile applications (Cordova and Capacitor)
• Familiar with containers and container orchestration tools
• Familiar with Operating Systems (Windows and Linux) and Application Servers
• Understanding of communication protocols (TVP, HTTP/S), network topography (LAN, intranets), and authentication protocols (SAML, OAuth)
• Experience with developer support
• Experience with ZenDesk Workflows and Administration
Fully remote, Ionic is currently a 100% remote workforce and was largely distributed prior to the pandemic (more than half the team did not work from the office). Our headquarters is located in Madison, WI.
Reporting to: VP of Customer Success
Additional Notes: Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
Our software empowers developers and teams to build amazing mobile, web, and desktop applications.
In 2013 we launched Ionic Framework, an open source software project that made it possible for web developers to build fast, beautiful mobile apps for any platform, using the web tools and languages that they already know and love.
Since then, our platform has evolved far beyond our initial open source toolset. Ionic now offers a complete app development platform to help professional developers and teams build, secure, and deliver apps faster and more easily than ever before. Ionic’s open source and premium tools now power more than 15% of all apps in the app stores -- representing early-stage startups all the way up to major brands like GE, Target, and Amtrak. At the same time, our vibrant open source community now encompasses more than 5 million developers in 200 countries.
We provide full-time employees with full benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage with available coverage for spouses or domestic partners and children, stock options, 401(k), generous holiday and sick paid time off.