Lead Cross Platform Engineer - Capacitor- Remote (USA)
Madison, WI - HQ /
Full Time - Remote
We’re looking for a lead engineer on our Capacitor team. Capacitor is fast becoming the most popular cross-platform native runtime in the world. Its momentum is driven by a superior developer experience. We’re looking to continue that growth by tackling a whole new market: Ionic Portals. Portals allows customers to quickly extend existing iOS and Android applications by creating micro-apps (portals) they can embed within their native apps that are built using modern web technologies (React, Angular, Vue, etc) and have access to native functionality.
This role is perfect for a polyglot/generalist who has a passion for the web but loves working in a wide variety of technologies (Web, Android, and iOS) and is a quick learner. If you’re a web developer with iOS or Android experience, we’d love to talk with you about helping us drive the growth of Capacitor and Portals!
In this role you will:
• Drive the enhancement of our software in ways that balance both user experience and long term speed and stability
• Communicate effectively to organize and lead teammates and build trust to achieve shared goals
• Communicate effectively with Customer Success team to triage, fix, and coordinate timelines for critical customer issues
• Work closely with product management to understand new and emerging enterprise customer pain points and identify opportunities to invent and enhance our software
• Work in multiple evolving platforms (Android, iOS, Web) and ensure our software is kept up to date and compatible with underlying platform changes coming down the pipeline
• Internalize a large and complex multi-language project and help other team members get up to speed and be effective individual contributors
Your areas of responsibility will include:
• Participate and contribute to design meetings for technical implementations & new features
• Help the team design and implement new features while reducing overall technical debt with minimal oversight and guidance from engineering leaders & architects
• Triage issues from enterprise customers and communicate timelines for workarounds or fixes with customers in coordination with our Customer Success team
• Occasionally participate in calls with enterprise customers in order to provide support and guidance as well as participate in user experience research
• Stay on top of emerging trends in technology and think about how they can be applied to our software
To be successful in this role, you will need:
• Strong experience and passion for web development with modern web frameworks (React, Angular, Vue, etc)
• Some experience with either Android (Java/Kotlin) or iOS (Swift/Objective C) and a willingness to learn and work in both platforms (iOS preferred).
• Ability to learn quickly, work independently, and mentor others
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with enterprise customers to help guide & support them as needed
• Passion for bleeding edge technology in general and frontend technologies specifically
• Bonus points for experience with Cordova and/or Capacitor
Fully remote, Ionic is currently a 100% remote workforce and was largely distributed prior to the pandemic (more than half the team did not work from the office). Our headquarters is located in Madison, WI.
Reporting to: Vice President of Engineering
Additional Notes: Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
Who we are
Our software empowers developers and teams to build amazing mobile, web, and desktop applications.
In 2013 we launched Ionic Framework, an open source software project that made it possible for web developers to build fast, beautiful mobile apps for any platform, using the web tools and languages that they already know and love.
Since then, our platform has evolved far beyond our initial open source toolset. Ionic now offers a complete app development platform to help professional developers and teams build, secure, and deliver apps faster and more easily than ever before. Ionic’s open source and premium tools now power more than 15% of all apps in the app stores -- representing early-stage startups all the way up to major brands like GE, Target, and Amtrak. At the same time, our vibrant open source community now encompasses more than 5 million developers in 200 countries.
We provide full-time employees with full benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage with available coverage for spouses or domestic partners and children, stock options, 401(k), generous holiday and sick paid time off.