Power Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Product & Strategy /
At Kevala, we are on an urgent mission to decarbonize the global energy economy using the most comprehensive data sets available on earth. We are a group of ambitious intellectuals who embrace unconventional approaches to solving complex problems. We foster a culture where all are encouraged to collaborate, be creative, and above all - support each other in our collective endeavors. As a fast-growing start-up, we are looking for individuals who are passionate about accelerating a sustainable clean energy future and excited to join in on our mission to make energy-related data meaningful, transparent, and broadly accessible.
Kevala is looking for a Distribution Planning Power Systems Engineer to join our growing team. This individual will inform electrical grid data structures in Kevala’s Assessor product architecture and define technical requirements for key projects as the in-house energy data and grid planning subject matter expert. If you enjoy collaborating with other professionals who believe in accelerating a clean energy future by making energy-related data meaningful, transparent and broadly accessible, we encourage you to apply.
What you will be doing
- Manage the technical product and project specifications for routing external energy data into Kevala’s Network Assessor platform.
- Internally collaborate with Kevala’s software engineering and data science teams, provide product design support via electrical system design expertise and translating client and market needs into discrete code.
- Direct design and running of power flow models on multiple platforms.
- Externally connect with clients including regulators, project developers, independent system operators, and utility planners, each with varying needs and degrees of subject matter expertise.
- Share input into project scopes of work, translating client needs to internal product and project development deliverables, actively participating in client-facing meetings, conducting research and analysis, contributing to writing reports, and delivering findings.
What you need to succeed
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience that includes familiarity with distribution interconnection and BTM DER mitigation approaches
- Electrical Engineering degree, Power Systems, or related
- Knowledgeable about energy resources including how to model and integrate varying types of generation including solar and battery inverters and traditional generators; load that includes EV chargers, building electrification, and motors; and/or distribution grid equipment that includes voltage regulators, capacitor banks, and load tap changers
- Experience with grid modeling tools such as Cyme, DEW, GridLab-D, and Open DSS
- Knowledgeable about AMI and SCADA and common information models to represent this data
What will make you stand out
- Process-minded to quickly establish an internal product architecture for ingesting, cleaning, managing, and updating energy data
- Comfortable working independently to break down complicated tasks into discrete deliverables and manage inputs/outputs from/to a variety of sources
- Experience in Python
We embrace the virtual office and are continuing to grow our team across the United States.
$110,000-$175,000 (depending on location and experience)
Who we are
Our team is passionate about decarbonizing the electric grid. We are focused on solving the challenges facing energy market participants interacting with the evolving electricity grid. America’s aging electric system is facing rapid transformation from changing technology and proliferation of distributed energy resources. Kevala is providing data and analysis to accelerate smart investment in a world served by a more robust, environmentally sustainable, effective, and safe grid. The principle of creating a better future by mapping our mutual energy sources and systems is the foundation for everything we do.
We are an equal opportunity employer that believes a diverse team will not just lead to a better working environment but will also help us create better products and services.
Kevala is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. If any reasonable accommodation is needed in our process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.