New York /
The future isn’t built by dreamers. It’s built today, by doers. It’s crafted by people who live on the edge of trends and understand where things are heading. Building tomorrow is the work of many hands and minds, not one person alone. And the future hinges on the support of a partner who understands that. At Lightspeed we believe tomorrow is built today. Lightspeed Venture Partners is a multi-stage venture capital firm focused on accelerating disruptive innovations and trends in the Enterprise, Consumer, Health, and Fintech sectors. Over the past two decades, the Lightspeed team has backed hundreds of entrepreneurs and helped build more than 500 companies globally including Affirm, Carta, Cato Networks, Epic Games, Faire, Forty Seven, FTX, Guardant Health, Mulesoft, Netskope, Nutanix, Rubrik, Sharechat, Snap, TripActions, Udaan, Ultima Genomics and more. Lightspeed and its global team currently manage $18B across the Lightspeed platform, with investment professionals and advisors in the U.S., China, Europe, India, Israel, and Southeast Asia. As Lightspeed has grown, so too have the opportunities to evolve the way we scale internally to ensure to the continued success of our investment partners, operations teams, founders, and companies.
OVERVIEW - FINTECH INVESTOR, ASSOCIATE
- Lightspeed is hiring an investor to join our fintech team. We are looking for someone with a demonstrated passion for fintech and a keen eye for fintech markets and trends. As a key member of the fintech investment team, you will actively participate in all stages of the investment process and have a seat at the table in making investment decisions. You will also be a key contributor in the active growth and maturation of the fintech team as it seeks to expand. The fintech team at Lightspeed includes Mercedes Bent, Connor Love, and is co-lead by Justin Overdorff and Will Kohler. The rest of the firm’s investment team is listed here. Venture investing is an apprenticeship. By joining Lightspeed, you will receive best-in-class mentorship and gain an inside look into how technology is transforming every global industry, especially fintech. Lightspeed has decades of experience investing in leading global fintech startups, including Affirm (AFRM), Alloy, Blend (BLND), Blockchain.com, Carta, and FTX. We are looking for someone who shows the potential to grow with the firm and have a long, successful career in venture capital. In a success case, candidates will eventually win competitive deals and lead investments for Lightspeed. This may be sooner or later, depending on a candidate’s experience level. Candidates will receive support and mentorship from more experienced partners as they make this transition. Prior investment experience is not necessary, but helpful. Regardless of your background, our partners will invest the time and energy to help you hone your investing skills. The role will be based in New York City.
- Sourcing and research: Identify high potential startups and help us understand emerging fintech sectors and trends.
- Managing deal pipeline: Prioritize our significant deal flow and allocate resources to the most exciting and impactful opportunities.
- Due diligence: Conduct due diligence and perform quantitative and qualitative analyses on investment opportunities, including administering surveys, parsing data requests, building financial models, talking to customers, and conducting reference checks.
- Networking and community building: Attend industry events and help grow our network of founders/executives by creating new opportunities for the community to come together.
- Building a professional identity: Eventually establish your own personal brand and contribute to thought leadership in the startup community. We are open to different modalities: podcasts, newsletters, communities, original research, etc. Whatever is authentic to you!
- A driven and motivated self-starter with a tireless work ethic.
- An enthusiastic student of financial services, regulated markets, and fintech trends.
- Insatiably curious and fiercely intellectual.
- Adept at analyzing data to garner strategic insight.
- An excellent written and oral communicator.
- A charismatic, intuitive relationship builder with a strong network in the startup community.
- Empathetic and humble.
- Collaborative in an unstructured team environment.
- Driven to be part of a winning team; competitive externally, but not internally.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of operating or investing experience. Ideally, you have spent those years inside of a fast-growing fintech startup in which you have made meaningful contributions which are recognized by your colleagues or you have experience honing quantitative and analytical skills within a top consulting firm or investment bank. More prior experience may lead to faster demonstration of the abilities that will lead to future promotion.
- Familiarity with startup finance methodologies (e.g. cohort analysis, unit economics, growth funnels) and an understanding of the mechanics of typical fintech business models.
- Graduated from university with a stellar academic track record.
- Non-technical backgrounds are encouraged, as long as you're sufficiently analytical and possess the necessary familiarity with technology.
- An MBA or graduate degree is not required, but may be helpful.
We believe the best decisions are made when there is true diversity of thought, experience, and background around the table. We win as a team and create equal opportunities for all.