Menlo Park, CA /
Lightspeed is hiring an investor to join our consumer team. We are looking for someone with a demonstrated passion for technology and a keen eye for consumer markets and trends. As a key member of the consumer investment team, you will actively participate in all stages of the investment process and have a seat at the table in making investment decisions. The consumer partners at Lightspeed include Mercedes Bent, Jeremy Liew, Nicole Quinn, and Alex Taussig, and the rest of the firm’s investment team is listed here.
By joining Lightspeed, you will receive best-in-class mentorship in the business of venture capital and gain an inside look into how technology is transforming every global industry. Lightspeed has decades of experience investing in leading global consumer startups, including Affirm (AFRM), Calm, Cameo, Daily Harvest, Epic Games, Faire, Grab, Giphy (acq. by FB), GrubHub (GRUB), The Honest Company (HNST), Nest (acq. by Google), Pinduoduo (PDD), Outschool, Snap (SNAP), Vinted, and Zola.
We are looking for someone who shows the potential to grow with the firm and have a long, successful career in venture capital. In a success case, candidates will eventually win competitive deals and lead investments for Lightspeed. This may be sooner or later, depending on a candidate’s experience level. Candidates will receive support and mentorship from more experienced partners as they make this transition.
Prior investment experience is not necessary, but helpful. Regardless of your background, our partners will invest the time and energy to help you hone your investing skills. The role will ideally be based in the San Francisco Bay Area, but we are open to considering a remote location if you can justify why it gains us incremental exposure to an emerging entrepreneurial ecosystem.
About the Firm
Lightspeed is a global venture capital firm focused on accelerating disruptive innovation in the enterprise, healthcare and consumer sectors. Over the past two decades, the Lightspeed team has backed hundreds of entrepreneurs and helped build 400+ companies globally, including Affirm (AFRM), AppDynamics (APPD), Blend (BLND), Epic Games, Faire, Full Truck Alliance (YMM), Grab, Grubhub (GRUB), Guardant (GH), The Honest Company (HNST), Mulesoft (MULE), Netskope, Nutanix (NTNX), Outbrain (OB), Outschool, OYO, Pinduoduo (PDD), Quantumscape (QS), Snap (SNAP), TripActions, and Zscaler (ZS). The firm currently manages over $10 billion of committed capital and invests in the U.S. and internationally, with investment professionals and advisors in Silicon Valley, New York, London, Israel, Singapore, India, and China.
We believe the best decisions are made when there is true diversity of thought, experience, and background around the table. We win as a team and create equal opportunities for all. We are an inclusive team that represents a variety of genders, ethnicities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills and strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups in VC to apply.
- Sourcing and research: Identify high potential startups and help us understand emerging consumer sectors and trends.
- Managing deal pipeline: Prioritize our significant deal flow and allocate resources to the most exciting and impactful opportunities.
- Due diligence: Conduct due diligence and perform analyses on investment opportunities, including administering surveys, parsing data requests, building financial models, talking to customers, and conducting reference checks.
- Networking and community building: Attend industry events and help grow our network of founders/executives by creating new opportunities for the community to come together.
- Building a professional identity: Eventually establish your own personal brand and contribute to thought leadership in the startup community. We are open to different modalities: podcasts, newsletters, communities, original research, etc. Whatever is authentic to you!
- A driven and motivated self-starter with a tireless work ethic.
- An enthusiastic student of consumer behavior.
- Insatiably curious and fiercely intellectual.
- Adept at analyzing data to garner strategic insight.
- An excellent written and oral communicator.
- A charismatic, intuitive relationship builder with a strong network in the startup community.
- Empathetic and humble.
- Collaborative in an unstructured team environment.
- Driven to be part of a winning team; competitive externally, but not internally.
- Minimum of 5 years of operating or investing experience. Ideally, you have spent those years inside of a fast-growing consumer technology startup, in which you have made meaningful contributions which are recognized by your colleagues. More prior experience may lead to faster demonstration of the abilities that will lead to future promotion.
- Familiarity with startup finance methodologies (e.g. cohort analysis, unit economics, growth funnels) and an understanding of the mechanics of typical consumer business models.
- Graduated from university with a stellar academic track record.
- Non-technical backgrounds are encouraged, as long as you're sufficiently analytical and possess the necessary familiarity with technology.
- An MBA or graduate degree is not required, but may be helpful.
- We are one, global Lightspeed team.
- We operate like owners to drive extraordinary impact.
- We focus on the merit of ideas and value diverse perspectives.
- We practice empathy and respect each other and ourselves.
- We hold each other accountable.
- We stay humble and work like we have something to prove.