Long Beach, CA /
F&O – Workplace Services (4032) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
The Safety Specialist will be responsible for the daily administration and implementation of the Safety, Health, and Environmental (SHE) programs that ensure compliance with statutory requirements and promote safe and healthy working conditions at all corporate locations. This position will be the primary SHE contact for multiple R&D facilities; 20% travel is expected.
The work environment will vary from office setting, research laboratories, and automotive garages. The successful candidate will report to the Head of Workplaces and will be responsible for the following:
•Local site SHE program support
•Authoring and implementing corporate SHE policies and procedures
•Conducting site inspections
•Leading various safety programs
•Preparing and conduct corporate SHE trainings
•Safety and environmental compliance/project duties as assigned
- Stay current with safety and environmental regulations. Develop and implement corporate and local safety, health, and environmental programs in compliance with Federal, State, and Local regulations as well as Company requirements.
- Author new corporate environmental and safety policies/guidelines as needed; develop training and communication plan to roll-out these new policies/guidelines, including investigating new technologies, providing professional review and recommendations for the purchase of tools, materials and equipment that will enhance safety performance.
- Develop and implement (including delivery of) educational training programs and activities that help develop and improve the safety process within the company, and to ensure compliance with federal state and local regulations.
- Provide new-employee health and safety orientations as needed, and develop materials for these presentations.
- Compile, analyze, and interpret data related to safety training and performance to measure the effectiveness of existing programs.
- Coordinate and implement the safety program for routine construction projects. Attend project pre-planning, progress and other relevant project-related meetings to discuss safety-related matters. Conduct regular walk-through inspections of construction sites to ensure compliance with laws and Company policies. Make recommendations and obtain permits and equipment as necessary.
- Conducts safety and environmental assessments to identify hazards and deficiencies that expose the company to loss or failure to comply with regulatory requirements.
- Provide recommendations for abatement of hazardous/potentially hazardous conditions.
- Investigate accidents to identify causes; conduct root cause analysis and make recommendations to prevent reoccurrence.
- Maintain up to date on SPCC Plans and site air-permit requirement. Conduct applicable inspection and release mitigations.
- Track safety KPIs and prepare reports and presentations for corporate leadership.
- Utilizes safety management systems and tools to perform trend analysis that identifies safety trends, including problem areas and provides recommended solutions to mitigate future occurrences.
- Lead safety advisory council meetings for on site or work procedure safety. Be the go to safety lead for your designated area(s) and field inquiries from employees about proper safety procedures.
- Provide support in the development and implementation of JHA's (Job Hazard Analyses) for both routine (operation and maintenance) and non-routine tasks
- Point of contact for all Federal, State, and Local regulatory agencies for service locations. Coordinate audits and agency inspections.
- Maintain and update site-specific emergency response action plans and procedures.
- Implement and manage contractor and/or subcontractors’ safety programs.
- All other duties as assigned.
- BS degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental Sciences or Engineering
- Must demonstrate a working knowledge of OSHA regulations, DOT experience is a plus
- Current working experience with regulations relating to power tools; hot work; PPE; lock out tag out; confined space
- Ability to interface effectively with governmental agencies, regulating boards, third parties, contractors, and lawyers
- A working knowledge of air, water, and waste federal and local regulations and active experience in SPCC plans, air permits, and fire code requirements
- Previous experience in leading multi-departmental projects involving SHE programs
- Demonstrated experience in leading safety investigations to resolution
- Must have exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Must have high level of initiative, and ability to often work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to comfortably interact with employees at all levels in the office and shop floor
- Must have ability to effectively organize, prioritize, and plan daily work in an unstructured work environment
- Must be able to lead project teams across the company
- Possess organization and planning skills to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously
- Must maintain a professional and respectful demeanor / attitude with co-workers, contractors, customers, and regulatory agencies
- Must have intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Must be willing and able to work in both corporate office and field environment
- Must be willing and able to carry a company provided cell phone and respond as needed on a 24/7 basis
- Predominantly work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment. Must have the ability to: lift and carry small parcels, packages and other items, to walk short distances, and drive a vehicle.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred.
- Prior experience in management systems such as VPP, ISO 9001, ISO 14001 or OHSAS 18001 ISO 45001
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to, job-related education, skills, and experience, geographic location, and market conditions. The current salary range for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $82,000-$102,500.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS