Manager Core Software
Farmington Hills, MI /
Powertrain – eDrive Software (4059) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Lead and manage the Core Software team within the eDrive Software department with technical responsibility for development and configuration of Base Layer Software (AutoSAR Classic), low level driver development, SW Architecture, SW integration, specification of the software and hardware interfaces, as well as the development and maintenance of CI/CD infrastructure for embedded controllers in the electric drive vehicle subsystem.
As part of the eDrive Dept leadership, this role will also contribute to the deployment and implementation of SAFe lean and agile methodologies within the dept, and will drive the strategy of the organization for optimal allocation of the team along platform horizontals and product verticals. The ideal candidate will have strong people management and development skills, as well as a deep understanding of embedded software/firmware architecture and how to balance the need for continuous improvement in the speed of delivery with the required formalism of developing safety critical systems.
- Manage, mentor, and develop the team members and foster a positive and inclusive team culture.
- Supervise the development, implementation and configuration of AutoSAR Classic Base Software Layer. This includes all aspects of the BSW stack, including RTOS, memory management, networking, diagnostics, cybersecurity, bootloader, etc.
- Develop and maintain SW Architecture targeting typical automotive microcontrollers (Infineon, NXP, Renesas).
- Develop and specify control board architecture and software interface modules for electric motor control, to meet core control needs, functionality and functional safety requirements for an embedded software environment. This includes development of low level drivers for various control board devices.
- Deploy, implement, and champion lean and agile methodologies (SAFe).
- Coordination and communicate needs and deliverables with supplier and internal SW development and test teams.
- Software integration, documentation and product Application Life Cycle Management. In-house tool development and software development tool selection.
- Responsible for software process definition, implementation, monitoring and communication with cross-functional engineering teams.
- Estimate development effort and plan, budget and allocate necessary resources to meet program timing.
- Establish and maintain performance metrics to track status and continuous improvements. Continuously provide development. status to management and partners, identify and report risks and propose mitigation actions.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in electrical or computer science engineering, preferably with a focus on electrical and computer engineering or computer science (specialization in power electronics or embedded systems is a plus).
- Strong management, leadership and communication skills. Provide mentorship and technical guidance to engineering team.
- Experience with integrated software development environments, compiler configuration, software testing and debug toolchain. Deep knowledge of AutoSAR concepts, Vector MicroSAR stack and DaVinci configuration tooling, as well as low lever driver development.
- Knowledge and applied experience with software development processes per ISO/IEC 15504 (Automotive SPICE) and ISO 26262.
- Ability to define software implementation architecture for hard real-time embedded systems and steer the design and configuration of target uCs to meet performance, safety and functionality goals.
- Experience with deploying agile methodologies in the embedded context, with strong preference for SAFe.
- General powertrain and e-motor controls knowledge.
- Own and drive a topic with minimum supervision and full autonomy. Project management skills with tight time lines and multiple deliveries in parallel.
- Willingness for limited travel both domestically and internationally.
- Several years of experience in leading software development group to meet program cost, timing & technical requirements.
- Experience in microcontrollers and embedded controls software for Automotive or Industrial Power Electronics applications.
- Experience in working with suppliers and across various international development locations.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce.
MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Thank you for your interest in Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America. Please be aware the impact of COVID-19 could increase the amount of time it takes our HR and Hiring Team to process your application. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are dedicated to the health and safety of our employees and candidates. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS