Staff Machine Learning Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA /
Data/AI/UX – Data Insights (4046) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
The Mercedes-Benz Data and AI team is seeking a hands-on machine learning expert for research, design, and development of cutting-edge technology applied in projects that will shape the future of Mercedes-Benz vehicles with the goal of enhancing our customer’s experience.
In this role, you will be responsible for design, development, and presentation of novel machine learning techniques and applications, as well as guiding junior members to become experts. You will be working closely with the development team to support the product development as well as evaluation and proposal of algorithm adjustments to ameliorate undesired learning behavior, towards a progressive future in the automotive industry.
- Lead research topics through multiple phases related to automotive machine learning solutions: experimentation and validation, proof of concept, tuning and constraint adjustment
- Provide support and insight to development teams responsible for implementation of machine learning techniques in a native head unit environment
- Present and demo research topics to Mercedes-Benz internal groups, and at external events such as academic conferences and tradeshows
- Define, interface and manage relationships with other teams within MBRDNA and Mercedes-Benz organizations
- Work closely with a proactive, highly motivated engineering team to bring next generation infotainment and telematics solutions to Mercedes-Benz products worldwide
- Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software with a measurable customer value
- Master’s, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, Statistics, or related fields
- 4-6 years of experience
- Strong programming and software development skills (Python/C++)
- Hands-on experience with implementation, analysis and updating machine learning and AI algorithms in real world products
- Deep understanding of machine learning fundamentals. Ability to keep up with the bleeding edge of research in the field, understand its ramifications, and immediately apply it to the betterment of our products
- Ability to quickly and effectively diagnose issues, evaluate fixes, and propose solutions for statistical data analysis and machine learning techniques (including Regression, Classification, Clustering, Time series, Deep learning)
- Strong instincts for efficiency and optimization, with self-motivation to work with colleagues such that only high quality products reach customers' hands.
- Extensive experience with ML frameworks such a PyTorch and Tensorflow
- Excellent understanding of ML workflow: preparing the data, implementing and training ML models, evaluating results, deploying inference on different platforms
- Ability to collaborate effectively and pro-actively in cross functional development teams
- Experience leading research topics through a full research pipeline: from concept to proof and validation
- Very strong interest and passion in machine learning, data science and related fields
- Excellent communication, especially written, and organizational skills, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
- Valid CA Driver’s License
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: Recommendation Systems, Bayesian inference and Gaussian processes, Time series, GNNs, Information retrieval and Data mining, Natural Language Processing
- Distributed data processing in Hadoop, Spark, BigQuery, or Apache Beam
- Distributed training
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to, job-related education, skills, and experience, geographic location, and market conditions. The current salary range for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $152,300 - $194,100.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships & Contractors excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS