Senior Engineer, Powertrain Software Development
Farmington Hills, MI /
Powertrain – Powertrain E/E (4067) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
The purpose of this position is to develop control functions and supporting tools for Mercedes-Benz’s conventional and electrified powertrain system. Development of the control function involves design, implementation, initial calibration, documentation, testing and integration of embedded controller software from high level requirements provided by project team. Functions are related but not limited to predictive powertrain control strategy based on ADAS Horizon data. Testing includes unit, integration and system level testing in SiL, MiL platforms sold worldwide including the USA. Development of the supporting tools involves enhancing and/or maintaining tools used in feature/function development process. Part of it is to integrate map based ADAS data provider with virtual powertrain testing environment (SiL).
- Gather requirements and clarify functional design with stakeholders
- Model based design and implementation of software control functions using Simulink/TargetLink/Stateflow driven development environment
- Perform checks and testing on developed function to meet set quality requirements – Invovles MiL mode unit testing, Tessy, SiL-ModuleTest, Polyspace, code coverage etc
- Debug developed functions in MiL/SiL environment
- Plan and execute development activity to meet software release timelines (V-Cycle)
- System level testing of developed feature in virtual environment (SiL) / actual environment (Vehicle)
- Instrumentation and maintenance of powertrain software of vehicle in use using diagnostic tools/application development tools, debugging measurement issues
- Support application team with requested test software stand, reported issue investigation and general clarification
- Enhance methods & tools used in function development process aiming towards greater degree of virtualization and automation
- Document and share gained know-how on features/methods/tools useful to the team towards improving efficiency
- BS, MS in electrical, mechanical, automotive engineering or related fields
- 5-7 years of relevant experience
- Formal school training on engineering fundamentals, automotive powertrain, internal combustion engines and hybrid components like e-motor, inverter, battery
- C/C++ programming skills
- Knowledge and experiences with Matlab scripting and Simulink /Stateflow Simulation
- Knowledge of model based software development
- Familiar with RTOS and constraints of embedded system
- Knowledge and experience with Batch/Python/Bash scripting
- Familiar with basic Linux & Windows OS
- Knowledge and experience with Synopsis Silver
- Knowledge and experience with vehicle measurement tools such as INCA & MDA
- Willing to travel domestically and/or internationally as required
- Valid Driver’s License
- Hands on experience with embedded microcontroller software development, testing
- Hand-on experiences in SiL testing
- German language skills is a plus
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS