Patent Paralegal (Contract; Part time)
Sunnyvale, CA; Long Beach, CA /
Legal – IP & Patents (4071) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
The purpose of the paralegal/administrative assistant role is to provide all IP & Patent group team members with substantive and administrative support in patent-related activities.
- Maintain robust IP management system for multiple Mercedes-Benz entities including recording/storing new case data and documentation, quality checking incoming documents, ordering services from outside counsel, tracking drafts and correspondence with outside counsel, preparing group reports and continually improving workflow processes with local and international groups
- Provide general administrative assistance (i.e. arranging travel, preparing expense reports, copying, faxing, etc.)
- Communicate regularly with outside counsel to maintain efficient matter and invoicing management
- Manage Mercedes-Benz-NAFTA patent portfolio including regular communication with supported teams, and coordinating efforts with international team members
- Prepare formality documents, assist with contacting inventors and obtaining signatures, notarization and transmission.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline
- Minimum years of experience required - 1 Year
- Combination of Degree and years of experience acceptable (minimum)- Bachelors + 2 yrs
- General knowledge of patent filing and prosecution rules/regulations
- Ability to handle highly confidential information professionally and with discretion
- Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally as part of a small group within a globally established team
- Strong interpersonal skills and highly collaborative with personnel from different cultures located internationally; excellent analytical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with deadlines and act independently to improve processes
- High proficiency with MS Office Suite; usage of subscription based patent search databases a plus
- Certificate in Paralegal Studies
- Experience handling inventor, assignee, and basic patent information
$37 - $42 an hour
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to, job-related education, skills, and experience, geographic location, and market conditions. The current salary range for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $37/hr - $42/hr.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships & Contractors excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS