Staff Engineer OBD Certification/Homologation
Farmington Hills, MI /
Certification & Regulatory Affairs – EPA/CARB Liaison & Compliance Testing (4033) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
In this role, you work in a group that is represented in both Farmington Hills, MI and Long Beach, CA, which is focused on supporting the certification of On Board Diagnostics (OBD) systems to the standards set forth by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
As a Staff Engineer OBD Certification/Homologation in this team, the primary responsibility is to collaborate with colleagues in RD, AMG and VAN to complete OBD disclosures and applications, as well as seek CARB guidance and approval for new technologies. The role has a strong focus on safety and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and associated OBD system development aspects. The Individual shall represent Mercedes-Benz in communications with CARB OBD staff located in Riverside, CA regarding issues pertaining to current certifications, current and future regulations, In Use Topics and any other topics that require CARB guidance. As a member of this team, every interaction with CARB and every certification related task is held to the highest standard of compliance and integrity. The individual may also represent Mercedes-Benz as required in discussions with SAE and other associations. Lastly, this person will develop and enhance processes and mentor less experienced peers.
- In this role you will have a key responsibility in the area of supporting development of OBD systems for existing safety and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and in conceptualizing of future ADAS systems that meet the spirit of CARB’s OBD requirements
- Deliver comprehensive, correct and conforming OBD documentation to CARB
- Establish and maintain working relationships with CARB OBD Staff
- Provide guidance to colleagues at AMG, VAN and MBC on OBD issues
- Support the establishment the team as a center of expertise in US OBD Certification topics
- Establish a process driven culture that embraces continuous improvement
- Support collaboration within MBRDNA on common projects and objectives
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical/Automotive Engineering or related field
- Experience and knowledge in ADAS and safety systems
- Comprehensive knowledge of US OBD II regulations (CARB 1968.2)
- Extensive previous experience in OBD Calibration or Certification is a plus
- Experience interacting with government agencies, especially CARB on OBD issues
- Comprehensive knowledge of powertrain systems, including emissions control system functions
- Ability to think strategically and establish direction
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex topics in a clear and concise manor to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to lead by example and identify/implement change when beneficial
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus between multiple stakeholders
- Ability to act and perform under every circumstances with personal integrity
- Desire for continuous personal development and growth
- Valid US driver’s license
- Knowledge of Mercedes-Benz safety and ADAS systems
- Knowledge of powertrain emission control system functions and calibration processes
- Experience collaborating within a global network
- Knowledge of vehicle energy management systems including hybrid powertrains
- German language skills
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS