AD/ADAS Operations and Testing Engineer
Long Beach, CA /
US Experience – Electronic Systems Testing (4054) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Our Mercedes-Benz Long Beach office is looking for a Operations and Testing Engineer responsible for Automated Driving and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems.
As a testing and validation team passionate about developing safe, high performing, intuitive advanced driver assistance and automated driving systems, we are looking for a new teammate that aligns with those goals. This role supports the development of the future generations of Mercedes-Benz products, including our Level-2 driver assistance and Level-3 automated driving technologies for our expanding range of EV models.
The responsibility of this role is to lead Automated Driving and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (AD/ADAS) testing to support the ramp of a new project operations and support testing related activities. This goal is to test, evaluate, and ultimately drive
success of the AD/ADAS systems in the USA and Canadian Markets for Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles.
- Primary responsibilities are to support automated driving and advanced driver assistance system engineering team with validation activities including vehicle engineering support, coordination, testing, logistics, planning, and communication.
- Operational work would focus on building up a fleet of test vehicles running from our location in Long Beach. Frequent travel to Sunnyvale, CA should be expected during this phase. Examples of operations work includes test fleet route planning, test driver hiring, training, and oversight, supporting data acquisition hardware and equipment planning and implementation, validation fleet monitoring, data download and analysis, and facility operations planning. This also will include maintaining and updating test vehicles to the latest SW/HW levels either independently or with support of other team members.
- Testing responsibilities will focus on USA and Canadian-market focused testing of Automated Driving and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems:
- Systematically test and evaluate the performance of AD/ADAS systems, with a focus on US-market specific conditions. Collect measurement data to identify, analyze, and document potential issues found during testing.
- Review all system faults with first level analysis for root cause and defect routing. Track open faults, provide support to functional owners for further fault analysis, and defect fix confirmation.
- Summarize faults and findings into a release report, and submit to responsible departments in a systematic and timely manner. Provide Release Recommendation reports as required, based on system performance in the local market.
- Other responsibilities include:
- Keep regular communication with internal and external departments in order to stay informed on regularly shifting timelines related to all previously mentioned tasks.
- Maintain vehicle scheduling and track hardware and software availability in order to complete tasks on time and minimize vehicle down time.
- Develop testing strategies and planning for ADAS testing projects, test routes, test methods, and reporting.
- Establish performance metrics relating to key ADAS testing deliverables and track on a recurring basis.
- Support budget planning and updates with customer departments.
- Actively work on process development and continuous improvement.
- Research US specific traffic environment and condition related to Automated Driving and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (computer, computer science, mechanical, mechatronics, electrical, etc)
- AD/ADAS Knowledge: Knowledge of Automated Driving and Driver Assistance Systems. Knowledge of competitor systems and all AD/ADAS sensor technologies.
- Automotive Development Knowledge: Understanding of vehicle development process. Familiarity with vehicle networking architecture (CAN, Flexray, etc), common diagnostic tools and measurement systems such as CANoe, DTS Monaco, as well as ability to analyze and interpret diagnostic and fault measurements to trouble shoot issues.
- ECU Flashing Trouble-shooting: Update and maintain SW and HW on dedicated test vehicle to both released and pre-released levels. The ability to flash ECUs, calibrate sensors, and perform ECU readouts is required.
- Project Management Skills: Ability to coordinate across multiple departments the vehicle updating, testing, and reporting in order to deliver on-time results in a dynamic environment.
- Organizational and Leadership Skills: Ability to organize people, budgets, logistics, and workshop tasks within our in-house workshop, as well as with the customer departments, functional teams, and management in Germany.
- Interpersonal and Team skills: Experience in intercultural environment, with the ability to independently build-up working relationships with intra-company expert departments in Germany.
- In the short-term, the ability to travel up to 50% including domestic and international business trips and test drives. This frequent trips to Sunnyvale, CA and other test trips that require frequent overnight and occasional weekend travel.
- Valid US Driver's License
- Ability to test drive vehicles and pass Daimler driver T2 level certification that evaluates the driver’s control of the vehicle dynamics at limit-handling conditions.
- German language skills, written and spoken
- Master's degree with emphasis in Mechanical, Mechatronics or Electrical Engineering
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to, job-related education, skills, and experience, geographic location, and market conditions. The current salary range for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $99,100-$124,000.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS