Sr. Manager Autonomous Driving - Middleware
Sunnyvale, CA /
Autonomous – Connected & Autonomous (4079) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) is a place for exceptional people with outstanding ideas and the absolute willingness to bring them to life.
Headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA at the heart of Silicon Valley and with several R&D facilities across the U.S., we bring together engineers, software developers, and designers who are pushing technology boundaries to shape the future. MBRDNA’s Autonomous Driving team is responsible for developing and implementing the next generation of autonomous driving systems together with US-based partners (Luminar, NVIDIA, etc) and colleagues in Germany. Systems include hardware and software.
The purpose of this position is to lead and grow a technical team that develops algorithms and software in the fields of Maps, Localization, Planning and non-functional software for Mercedes-Benz vehicles of the SAE levels 2-4. Expected are major contributions to the overall architecture and design of Mercedes-Benz vehicles as part of the global MB R&D team in coordination with peer groups in the US, India and in Germany.
- Lead and grow the AD Projects team that develops solutions and software in the area of Over the Air Flashing, Middleware, HW – SW Abstraction layers and Vehicle Forensics for customer vehicles
- Develop and transfer product innovations for future Mercedes-Benz vehicles
- Interact with US and Silicon Valley companies and organizations to develop and cultivate strategic partnerships
- Be the day-to-day interface and technical liaison to the Mercedes development and advanced engineering departments
- Coordinate and cooperate with other teams of the Autonomous Driving Department at MBRDNA
- Execute and support PR activities for autonomous driving in the U.S
- Bachelors / Master's Degree in Engineering, Electronics / Computer Science
- Proven work experience with dealing with Software close to Hardware, AUTOSAR, Middleware components in Automotive Chips, software development and project management
- Ability to network and interface with high-tech companies, work within the structures and processes of both the IT and the automotive industry, and operate in a diverse and intercultural work environment
- Ability to interact with remote locations over different time zones and create a link between HQ – Sindelfingen, Remote locations and Silicon Valley
- Track record in managing all phases of Software development projects including compile and build process, version management, QA and bug tracking, simulation, verification and release
- Successful experience in creating, growing and managing an engineering or project team of 10+ people
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Entrepreneurial drive with a demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a fast-paced innovative environment and to deliver products through excellent project management abilities
- Strong leadership skills to manage and grow diverse dynamic and International engineering teams through both formal processes and hands-on management
- Excellent communication skills and experience working in a multi-cultural environment
- Driving a vehicle is required for this position
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to, job-related education, skills, and experience, geographic location, and market conditions. The current salary range for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $201,400-$256,800.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS