Engineering Intern, AD/ADAS (Spring 2024)
Long Beach, CA
US Experience – Electronic Systems Testing (4054) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
About this internship:
At Mercedes-Benz, our Automated Driving and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (AD/ADAS) team is passionate about developing safe, high-performing, and intuitive advanced driver assistance and automated driving systems. Our goal is to enhance vehicle safety, improve driver convenience, and eventually enable our technology-leading self-driving capabilities.
Our AD/ADAS team is seeking an Engineering Intern who shares our enthusiasm for redefining the future of automotive safety and autonomous driving. As an Engineering Intern, you will be an integral part of our journey to innovate and develop cutting-edge ADAS solutions. This internship offers you the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience and contribute to groundbreaking projects in the automotive industry. This is a 6-month in-person internship from our Long Beach,CA office. Our ideal intern is available full-time from January to June 2024.
- Support ADAS and Automated Driving Development: Engage in the testing and development of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and Automated Driving (AD) solutions tailored to the North American market.
- Participate in Local Testing: Actively participate in and support local driver assistance system testing, gaining insights into the regional nuances that influence system adaptation.
- Regional Environment Analysis: Research the North American traffic environment to identify differences and translate them into actionable insights for regional driver assistance system adaptation.
- Competitor Benchmarking: Conduct research and benchmarking activities to stay informed about competitors' developments and industry trends.
- Data Analysis and Reporting: Analyze data gathered from various sources and generate comprehensive reports to inform system improvements and decision-making.
- Vehicle and Measurement Systems Maintenance: Contribute to the upkeep, troubleshooting, and improvement of test vehicles and measurement systems to ensure reliable testing procedures.
- Continuous Improvement Projects: Undertake independent projects to identify process enhancements and execute them for continuous improvement in AD/ADAS development.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, or a closely related field.
- Basic knowledge of vehicle systems and driver assistance systems is required, showing familiarity with the industry and its technologies.
- Basic understanding of software development, data analysis, and proficiency in programming languages (e.g., C/C++, Python, MATLAB).
- Excellent communication skills including ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Comfort working in a small team environment, being flexible and adaptive to perform various tasks as needed to contribute to the team's success.
- Experience with version control systems, such as Git or stash is a plus.
- This is a full-time, 6-month in-person internship located at our Long Beach, CA office.
- The current hourly rate for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $28 (Undergraduate Students)/$32 (Graduate Students) / $36 (PhD).
- Intern benefits include PTO & Sick Time.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships & Contractors excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS