Senior Engineer, Powertrain Software & Calibration
Farmington Hills, MI /
Powertrain – Powertrain Calibration (4062) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
The Powertrain Software & Calibration Team is seeking a talented Senior Engineer with an interest in development, validation and calibration of powertrain control functions to meet legislative and company-specific targets across multiple hybrid and conventional powertrains, vehicles, and markets. The main functional responsibility of this position is in the field of base engine and emission control functions.
The development of powertrains uses a systems approach, integrating components including combustion engines, electrical systems and software controls. Calibration, testing and software development are performed in one group without barriers between the disciplines. Testing resources include: chassis dynos (fuel economy and emission tests), test vehicles, component test benches, and SiL/HiL equipment.
The senior engineer is responsible for function groups. He/She is the subject matter expert with knowledge and experience to develop and release functions and calibrations, provide documentation, align stakeholders and support the certification effort.
- Perform control function development and calibration to meet legislative and company-specific targets across multiple powertrain configurations for worldwide markets.
- Be the owner and main contact for assigned software functions. The functions can be one or a combination of the following features: lambda control and adaption, catalyst heating, thermal protection, catalyst oxygen storage and catalyst oxygen purge, engine start and enrichment, canister purge control, start/stop strategy, combustion functions, direct injection fuel system, fuel adaption functions, On Board Diagnostics (OBD) functions, and hybrid operating strategy.
- Perform development and validation testing on test benches, chassis dynamometers and over the road. Identify testing needs, create test cases, collect and analyze testing data, document testing results.
- Develop and manage calibration variants supporting multiple vehicle types and target markets. Contribute to the formal documentation for release and certification in target markets.
- Participate in test trips for cold, hot, and high altitude development and validation.
- Bachelor/Master’s in Mechanical, Electrical, or Automotive Engineering
- 5-7 years of experience
- Calibration experience in the field of base engine and emission control functions.
- Experience with hybrid powertrain and direct injection gasoline engines.
- Excellent data analysis and presentation skills.
- Hands-on experience with test bench, dynamometer and in-vehicle calibration. Able to work independently in vehicle and other testing environments.
- Hands-on experience with calibration development tools such as ETAS INCA and Vector CANalyzer/CANape, Matlab
- Competence in solving complex engineering problems. Able to explain technical problems and solutions to management.
- Strong planning and organizational skills. Teamwork and communication skills as well as intercultural skills to drive assigned topics and coordinate stakeholders across three continents and different time zones with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated to grow technical know-how in assigned engineering areas. Self-study and fast learning skills. Able to propose and implement creative solutions. Willingness to train other employees in the subject matter.
- Professional confidence in making engineering decisions. Able to clarify issues, set up goals, collect information, get resources and make sound engineering decisions on technical issues
- Ability to facilitate issue resolution in cases of conflicting requirements between emissions, drivability, diagnostics, and fuel consumption.
- Knowledge of MS Office programs, email clients, and databases.
- Willing to travel domestically and/or internationally as required.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Calibration experience in other areas such as e-motor, e-motor, transmission, inverter, battery, OBD is a plus.
- Hands-on experience using on Software-in-the-Loop and/or HiL for testing. Knowledge of and experiences with Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow. Simulation experience helpful.
- Function development experience in embedded software environment, programming skills in C/C++ is a plus.
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages is a plus.
- In-depth emission certification & regulatory experience is a plus.
- German language is a plus.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS