Engineering Manager, Platform
Data/AI/UX – Data Insights (4046) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
At MBRDNA we are revolutionizing the automotive industry by providing a cutting-edge One AI platform that empowers developers and engineers globally to integrate AI features seamlessly into vehicles. Our mission is to drive innovation and transform the driving experience through advanced AI technologies. We are seeking an experienced and motivated Engineering Manager to lead our platform development team and drive the global efforts of building AI features for cars. If you are a dynamic and visionary leader with a passion for driving innovation in the automotive industry, we invite you to join our team. Be part of a transformative journey that empowers engineers worldwide to shape the future of AI-powered vehicles. Apply now and help us redefine the driving experience!
As the Engineering Manager for the One AI Platform, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of automotive AI integration. You will be responsible for leading a dynamic team of engineers, defining strategy, managing resources, and ensuring successful global collaboration. Your role will encompass:
- Team Leadership: Provide strong leadership and guidance to a diverse team of engineers. Foster a collaborative and innovative work environment that encourages continuous learning and growth. Foster professional development by providing guidance, feedback, and opportunities for skill enhancement. Identify and resolve roadblocks and manage expectations through effective communication. Support continuous development and improvement in all facets of team. Oversee, guide, and mentor team members, including training employees, documenting employee performance, and providing performance feedback.
- Platform Development and Enablement: Drive the design, development, and maintenance of the AI platform, enabling engineers to seamlessly integrate AI features into vehicles. Ensure the platform's scalability, reliability, and performance. Guide and define software architecture and implementation strategies. Develop software solutions to meet stringent performance, compliance, and safety standards. Take day to day decisions on concrete implementation tasks, including algorithms and data structures. Oversee day to day operations of the platform and take measures to ensure operational quality. Responsible for the overall systems architecture vehicle to backend to cloud. Establish and improve existing development processes to ensure top performance, high quality software standards, and generation of reusable and extensible modules, models, and algorithms. Ensure that the development processes are properly embedded within the vehicle development processes and make required adjustments. Utilize programming languages Python, Java, C++ and C# to develop software for automotive vehicle infrastructure.
- Strategy Development: Develop and articulate the platform's technical and business strategy. Define clear objectives, key results, and milestones in alignment with the company's overall goals.
- Roadmap Creation: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define a clear product roadmap that outlines the platform's evolution. Prioritize features based on market trends, customer needs, and technological advancements. Coordinate with management, team members, and stakeholders to define feature roadmaps for the OneAI platform. Clarify and prioritize these features and translate them into tangible tasks in a product backlog.
- Global Efforts and Alignment: Guide cross-functional teams across different global locations, ensuring seamless collaboration and effective communication. Coordinate efforts to deliver AI features that meet regional and global requirements. Regularly convene and lead global meetings to align teams from different locations on feature development, share best practices, and ensure a unified approach.
- Stakeholder Communication: Effectively communicate platform updates, progress, and challenges to upper management. Provide strategic insights and recommendations to align the platform's direction with business objectives. Provide regular reporting to management and stakeholders on project status.
- Budget Management: Take ownership of the platform's budget, including resource allocation, cost management, and financial forecasting. Ensure efficient resource utilization to meet project goals.
- International Travel: Travel to Germany and/or China as needed to facilitate in-person collaboration, conduct team meetings, and engage with stakeholders.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field or equivalent education with 10 - 12 years’ experience respectively or PhD with 7 years' experience.
- Will accept equivalent work experience in lieu of formal education
- Proven experience in engineering leadership and managing cross-functional teams.
- Deep understanding of AI technologies, platform development, and software engineering principles.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience with budget management and resource allocation.
- Willingness to travel internationally as required.
- Previous leadership experience is a plus.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to, job-related education, skills, and experience, geographic location, and market conditions. The current salary range for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $175,100 - $223,300 .
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships & Contractors excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS