Engineering Intern, Powertrain (Spring 2023)
Farmington Hills, MI /
Powertrain – eDrive HV Systems (4061) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
This internship will run from January to August 2024. The internship will provide the opportunity to learn of Mercedes-Benz Electirifed Vehicles from the different aspects of the product development cycle and stakeholder’s roles and responsibilities.
- Work closely with lead engineer on testing and characterization of advanced wide bandgap power semiconductors. This includes double-pulse test (DPT) set-up, test execution, and reporting.
- Develop simulation models for the design of electronic circuits for electric traction drives such as On-Board charger, inverter, DCDC converter etc.
- Documenting the results as a formal report and able to present the results to lead engineer.
- Report on market trends on latest trends in automotive power electronics used in charging systems and traction inverters
- Currently pursuing a Bachelors, Masters, or Phd degree in Electrical, electronic or computer engineering with minimum GPA 3.5
- Experience in the field of wide bandgap power devices and application.
- Knowledge/experience in the automotive system engineering.
- Knowledge of electric vehicle / hybrid operations concepts
- Knowledge about AI and machine learning and there application in power electronics.
- Experience in operating power supplies, simulation tools, oscilloscopes and other laboratory testing equipment.
- MS Office Suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
- Shared Cloud Drives (Confluence, Jira).
- Project Management Skills (Communication / Time Management).
- Knowledge/experience in creating test plan, test execution and reporting the wide bandgap devices in lab setting.
- Strong MS Office computer skills to create presentations and reports including developing tools using macros/scripts.
- Excellent troubleshooting, problem solving and technical writing skills.
- Active team player and detail oriented.
- Ability to understand and interpret the requirements.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships & Contractors excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS