Engineering Intern, Motor Control
Farmington Hills, MI
Powertrain – eDrive Software (4059) /
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Mercedes-Benz is an industry leader in automotive innovation, particularly in the development of electric and hybrid vehicles. Our Motor Control team plays a pivotal role in designing and optimizing electronic systems that govern the propulsion and motion of our vehicles. We are dedicated to advancing the field of electric and hybrid vehicles and are seeking a highly motivated Engineering Intern to join our Motor Control team.
As an Engineering Intern on our Motor Control team, you will play a pivotal role in pushing the boundaries of electric and hybrid vehicle technology. This internship provides a unique opportunity to work on real-world projects, gain hands-on experience, and collaborate with a team of experts in the field. You will be involved in cutting-edge research and development activities, interact with universities, customers, and team members, and contribute to the design and development of electric motor control algorithms for electrified powertrains.
This is a 6-month in-person internship from our Farmington Hills, MI office. Our ideal intern is available full-time from January through Summer 2024.
- Advance electric motor control technology through innovative methods, tools, and processes.
- Establish best practices for electric motor-related analysis, controls, and testing of electric motors, ensuring top-tier performance and efficiency.
- Develop E-Motor control algorithms in Simulink/TargetLink models, including auto code generation to enhance the precision and effectiveness of control strategies.
- Verify and validate algorithms through simulation, hardware-in-the-loop, dyno tests, and other prototype test environments.
- Deliver system performance that meets customer expectations, resulting in superior electric and hybrid vehicle experiences.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's, or Ph.D. degree in Electrical, Electronic, or Computer Engineering.
- Strong academic background in electric motor control, power electronics, control systems, or motor control.
- Solid understanding of electric and hybrid vehicle technologies.
- Familiarity with rapid prototype tools, such as DSPACE/Micro Autobox/FPGA.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as C/C++, MATLAB/Simulink, and TargetLink.
- Knowledge of power electronics in electric drive systems
- This is a full-time, 6-month in-person internship located at our Farmington Hills, MI office.
- The current hourly rate for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $22 (Undergraduate Students)/$24 (Graduate Students) / $26 (PhD).
- Intern Benefit include PTO & Sick Time.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships & Contractors excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS