Category Manager, Fresh Produce
Sydney, NSW /
Operations – Operations Strategy /
What we do
Welcome to MILKRUN. A magical world, that’s really an app, where you can get groceries and alcohol delivered to your door in minutes by our super-friendly Riders on environmentally-friendly e-bikes.
We’re talking local, farm fresh produce, thousands of household essentials and all your favourite alcoholic beverages delivered faster than you can find your car keys.
This means you don’t have to spend your precious time in the supermarket.
Plus, we’re proudly not a part of the gig economy, so every Milko gets benefits like holiday pay, insurance and Super.
Just download the MILKRUN app to experience the magic for yourself.
Our fresh range is our ticket to trust. We need you to work and negotiate with growers, producers and suppliers to ensure that our fresh food products are of the best quality and that we receive the service and commitments required to guarantee availability and profitability across our hubs.
You’ll work alongside our product, creative and marketing teams to procure and promote a range of goods that follow our customers’ needs and product & event seasonality, while remaining the MILKRUN expert in supply side trends and perishable inventory challenges.
You will identify & implement margin and order value opportunities, supply chain improvements and supplier development initiatives, with the ultimate goal of providing an optimised range and contributing to overall operational efficiency.
What you'll do
- Managing the tactical range planning, optimisation & seasonality for our fresh food category, driving continuous improvement at every step
- Strategic category planning, innovation & sourcing methodology, ensuring we meet present and future business needs
- Supply chain resilience & risk incl food safety, sustainability & availability
- Supplier selection, contracting & regular performance management, including negotiating agreements beyond price, based on total lifecycle cost and benefit to MILKRUN
- Working with our Hubs and friends in Inventory to determine order patterns & forecasting for suppliers
- Engaging with internal stakeholders to ensure business needs are being prioritised & met; identify and quantify trade-offs between margin, range and service
- Ad hoc tasks as required while riding the wave of ambiguity - we’re a startup, so all of us wear many hats!
What you'll bring
- Higher education: Agribusiness, Economics, Supply Chain, Retail Marketing, CIPS or equivalent desired but not essential
- Solid experience in fresh food procurement, buying, category management, contract management, competitive price analysis, and/or supplier management, in a fast-paced FMCG or retail environment
- 10/10 scores for spend & range analytics, data-led category planning, merchandising, pricing strategy, commercial acumen & instinct, total lifecycle costing, contract development, negotiation
- Expert communication & cross functional influencing skills, master of prioritisation & autonomous working, customer obsessed and a ball of energy & enthusiasm
How we work
MILKRUN leaders know what goes into building something magical. Our experience scaling teams at Koala, Deliveroo, Dollar Shave Club, Canva, Amazon, THE ICONIC, SafetyCulture, and Shippit taught us a few valuable lessons.
For starters, people do their best work when they are trusted to make decisions and supported when they make a mistake. We know creating an environment of authenticity and safety means teams focus more on solving meaningful problems and less on masking who they are. We know when you give people ownership and throw equity in the mix you create a flurry of motivation and high-performance. We know first hand how easy it can be to burn out when you’re in the build phase. Mental health and sustainable growth are a daily conversation.
Things happen quickly at MILKRUN. Our pace of working is reflective of our promise to make super speedy deliveries to our customers. Our growth plans are scary big, in a good way. Our investors have some of the deepest pockets in Australia. Want to build something from the ground up with us?