Senior Full Stack Engineer
Sydney, Australia /
Tech – Engineering /
We’re MILKRUN and we’re here to change the grocery game.
By delivering groceries and a lot more in minutes.
Yeah, but still, how?
We stock fresh, local produce and thousands of Australia’s favourite brands, all at supermarket prices,
When an order comes in, we pick and pack it in a few minutes before handing it off to one of our superfast riders who harness the power of electric bikes to deliver it in a flash without any impact on the environment (or their quads).
The tech team at MILKRUN lives by one core value (they also live by eating food but that’s not very inspiring) and that is ‘MAKE MAGIC!’.
You’ll join a team that creates seamless user experiences and builds next-gen products that directly impact our customers' lives for the better.
What you'll do
- Build the core of the MILKRUN platform to help us keep our promise of an amazing delivery experience as the business grows.
- Contribute to the design evolution of the platform so that it stays maintainable, easy to change and reliable.
- Partner with MILKRUN’s Design and Product team. A group of super-smart humans who love solving complex problems for customers.
- Being one of the earliest hires in Engineering you will fundamentally shape the team vibe. Open feedback, good communication, and bias for action are a must.
- Help us build a high performance engineering culture based on trust, transparency and autonomy.
- The majority of your work will be hands-on coding as a Full Stack Engineer, with a wide range of tasks from building new features, to setting up our CI/CD pipelines and monitoring systems.
What you'll bring
- You enjoy being a generalist. We’re an early startup which will give you plenty of opportunities to jump on different projects. However, there is at least one domain (BackEnd, DevOps or FrontEnd) in which you thrive. The main challenge the team is working on for the short term is around API development so this role will be focused there initially.
- You are a polyglot developer and you’re known for being a quick learner and adaptable. Our tech stack is still young and open to change, we currently use mostly Node.js/Express.js, Next.js frameworks, MongoDB and Postgres DBs, hosted on AWS (oh yeah and some bits on GCP too), in a monorepo.
- You understand how to design a simple and elegant distributed platform which enables both traffic and technical teams to scale efficiently. Ideally have experience with microservices architectures.
- You have experience building, maintaining and improving tooling to make the developer experience more enjoyable and more productive. This includes CI/CD, testing and build tools.
- You care deeply about software quality which means you’ll start thinking about a testing strategy early on. You’re conscious of the costs and tradeoffs which have to be made to keep quality high in the long run.
- You’re all about collaborating with your teammates to solve problems. You value open and transparent communication and know that to build trust in a team you need to know how to give and receive feedback.
How we work
MILKRUN leaders know what goes into building something magical. Our experience scaling teams at Koala, Deliveroo, Dollar Shave Club, Canva, Amazon, THE ICONIC, SafetyCulture, and Shippit taught us a few valuable lessons.
For starters, people do their best work when they are trusted to make decisions and supported when they make a mistake. We know creating an environment of authenticity and safety means teams focus more on solving meaningful problems and less on masking who they are. We know when you give people ownership and throw equity in the mix you create a flurry of motivation and high-performance. We know first hand how easy it can be to burn out when you’re in the build phase. Mental health and sustainable growth are a daily conversation.
Things happen quickly at MILKRUN. Our pace of working is reflective of our promise to make super speedy deliveries to our customers. Our growth plans are scary big, in a good way. Our investors have some of the deepest pockets in Australia. Want to build something from the ground up with us?