Senior Robotics Software Engineer
Los Angeles, CA
Machina Labs, founded in 2019 by aerospace and auto industry veterans, is a smart manufacturing company based in Los Angeles, California. Enabled by advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics, Machina Labs is developing software-defined factories of the future. The mission of the company is to develop modular manufacturing solutions that can be reconfigured to manufacture new products simply by changing the software. The company is currently working to build the first commercial robotic sheet metal forming machine. Machina Labs is funded and backed by major investors in the field of AI and Deep Tech.
As a Senior Robotics Software Engineer and an early member of our small team, you will own a significant portion of our product and the company. You’ll be in charge of developing software that enable the next generation of manufacturing automation. Ideally, you are hands-on, curious, and technically-fearless. Our team is responsible for the core infrastructure and tools that serve as the backbone of our production, enabling process devs, machine learning scientists, and software engineers to collaborate and deploy solutions in the company. Our work spans real-time software, hardware, and control tasks.
- Architect, design, and implement robotic software applications, infrastructure, and tools.
- Work with stakeholders across hardware, science, and operations teams to iterate on systems design and implementation.
- Create robust, high-quality, well-tested software to interface with and control sensors, actuators, and other hardware.
- Collaborate with experts in machine learning and robotic controls to implement and deploy algorithms, such as machine learning models.
- Profile, tune, and optimize system performance.
- Create reusable software and systems to accelerate robotics development.
- Maintain high standards by participating in reviews, designing for fault tolerance and operational excellence, and creating mechanisms for continuous improvement.
- Mentor junior team members and help with the hiring.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
- 3+ years of software development experience, with background in design patterns, data structures, and test-driven development.
- Proficiency developing production-quality software in languages such as C++, or Python.
- Proficiency with professional software engineering practices & standard practices for the full software life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Master’s or advanced degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Experience in one or more relevant technical areas: robotics, sensors, real-time systems, embedded systems, distributed systems, or building infrastructure for engineering/science users.
- Experience with ROS2
- Expertise in building and testing real-time or safety-critical systems, such as aerospace, automotive, or medical devices.
- Experience with interdisciplinary developments that involve hardware, software, and algorithm co-design.
- Experience supporting large-scale infrastructure and tool development for scientific/engineering users.
- Strong fundamentals in operating systems, embedded systems, or systems programming.
- Independent and Entrepreneurial showing the ability to work with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated experience incubating and productionizing new technology, working and implementing with research papers from idea generation through implementation.
$140,000 - $180,000 a year
Machina Labs is committed to a diverse and an inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation.