Product Designer - Core Product (Search & Discovery)
Top.gg – Product /
At Top.gg, we are here to make the metaverse accessible. Join us to build the #1 platform for communities and creators to be discovered, empower them, and accelerate their growth. We are the largest search and discovery platform for Discord! Hundreds of thousands use our platform to find communities and integrations every day.
As one of Top.gg's first hires in the design organization, you will have the opportunity to build the foundation of design culture at our company. Success in this role means designing and shipping a best-in-class search and discovery product for the company and more importantly, empowering online communities and creators to grow at scale.
In this role, you'll be charged with leading design for our core product search and discovery experience for all Top.gg users. You'll work closely with product, engineering, and executive teams to create beautiful and high functional products for our users and design the foundation of our core search and discovery product experience.
As a team, we favor progress, learning, and speed over perfection. We are an international fully remote team, where everyone works autonomously with the expectation that you can be available for team syncs in the same core hours (8:00 am through 11:00 am PST). The exact times and days vary per team. We offer competitive compensation (salary + equity) that is location and level based. Check out our stack here.
What you'll do:
- Be one of the first design hires at Top.gg and help shape the foundation of design and design culture at our company, and potentially lead the growth of the design organization
- Work closely with our product and engineering teams to complete end-to-end projects performing user research, creating wireframes and mocks, and ultimately creating high-fidelity designs for our desktop, web, and future mobile apps
- Understand product and business objectives and use data to iterate and inform the design and product decisions
What we're looking for:
- 4+ years of product design, UX design, or related experience
- Strong command of visual and communication design principles and product thinking. Skilled using Figma.
- Strong user empathy — you love engaging with users and communities and have experience conducting your own user research
- Proven design experience solving ambiguous problems and shipping high-quality consumer search and discovery products at a rapid pace. Specifically, design experience bringing search and discovery products and systems from ideation to launch in 0 to 1 product spaces.
- Experience designing technical products such as search, recommendations, data knowledge, taxonomy, machine learning or natural language processing.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. You thrive when tackling ambiguous challenges and are tenacious when facing setbacks. You're able to ruthlessly prioritize and work efficiently under pressure and demanding timelines.
- You're excited to implement design best practices and processes at Top.gg and able to make decisions and progress with limited direction, resources or data.
- Strong collaboration skills and can collaborate both synchronously and asynchronously
- A passion for online communities, creators and Top.gg and gaming culture
- Experience working with developer communities is not required but a plus
- Understanding the principles of CSS and how it impacts your designs. Being familiar with engineering processes and how your designs translate to code is a strong plus.
As a heads up, our typical process is:
• Phone screening
• Up to four interviews with different team members
• Reference checks
• Offer 🎉
• Fully remote work environment
• Unlimited PTO (4+ weeks standard)
• Home office budget
• Team gatherings once we can travel again
• Paid parental leave: 20 weeks for primary caregiver and 12 weeks for secondary
• Full Medical for employee and two dependents (US employees only)
• Full Dental and Vision for employee and all dependents (US employees only)
• 401K (US employees only)
• All the fun and frolics that come with working for a gaming company
If you made it all the way here, include “gg” in your note and we will give you a virtual high-five when we talk!
Top.gg Core Values
Always be on top of your game.
No matter the size of the task, we commit to excellence. We care about the quality of our work, the people with whom we work, and the people who benefit from our work.
Our users come first.
Top.gg succeeds by putting online communities and creators first. We have a deep sense of responsibility towards our users. Each part of the ecosystem matters — we always ask ourselves "Is this good for communities as a whole?" and "Is this good for our top.gg community?". We proactively engage with our community and acknowledge downsides and trade-offs while seeking creative solutions.
Be ahead of the curve.
We push beyond the boundaries to shape the future of online communities together — from everything we build to how we work with one another. We challenge ourselves by taking intelligent risks and bold bets. We innovate by thinking globally one step at a time. We learn as fast as we build and approach challenges with passion and a growth mindset.
Diversity, equity and inclusion matter.
We believe people with a diverse* set of backgrounds, mindsets, and experiences working together create better outcomes. New ideas come from diverse ways of seeing things. We commit to engage in an equitable process to ensure that people with marginalized identities have the opportunity to grow, contribute, and develop — regardless of their identity. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone is valued and welcome.
Innovate as a team.
We believe in honest and constructive communication and treating each other with respect. We openly share ideas and feedback without hesitation. When we disagree with a decision, we respectfully challenge the idea or approach, not the person. We work together to find solutions grounded in empathy.
We focus on impact and deliver results as a team. We favor progress, learning and speed over perfection and have fun together along the way. We celebrate failures and mistakes as learning opportunities.
*This includes diversity of race, color, belief system, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, academic background, socio-economic background, geographic background, or other qualities that make us, us.