Data Solutions Intern (Summer 2023)
Nairobi, Kenya; Lagos, Nigeria; Kampala, Uganda; Washington, DC Metro Area, USA. Remote work flexible /
Nithio – Data & Risk Analytics /
Nithio is a venture-backed finance and data analytics platform that uses AI and machine learning techniques to improve credit scoring capabilities for businesses, capital providers, governments, and other stakeholders in the distributed renewable energy sector across Africa. The company is currently in rapid growth mode and aims to address the acute need for universal clean energy access on the continent by providing a sustainable infrastructure for capital delivery and by offering state-of-the-art credit underwriting software.
Summary of Position
The successful candidate will have a strong quantitative background, experience working with statistical packages (R, Python, or Stata), and an entrepreneurial mindset. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in geospatial analysis, machine learning, and/or experience on the African continent.
This position will perform a range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
● Integrate, analyze and model diverse types of data—including household surveys, payment histories, product pricing, and consumer receivables—to expand, deepen, and refine the Nithio underwriting tool.
● Help prepare analytical products, including presentations, briefings, and other materials.
● Research and review cutting-edge methods in data science and geospatial analytics, and energy sector applications.
● Support the development of product offerings and capabilities such as machine learning applications, dashboards, and underwriting tools and packages.
This position will report to the Data Solutions Manager.
● Part-time commitment: 20-30 hours per week (will set specific expectations with selected candidate in consideration of their schedule)
● Internship will be remote, although if the intern is located near our hubs in Washington DC, NYC, Oxford, Lagos, Nairobi or Amsterdam, there may be optional opportunities to collaborate in-person
● Manager will be in EAT time zone & the candidate will need to be able to be online & able to collaborate in this time zone
● Term: Summer, with potential to extend through Fall
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
● Currently enrolled in or recently completed a Master’s program in a related field.
● Training in statistical methods, econometrics, machine learning, and/or geospatial analysis.
● Experience with financial modeling or risk analysis is a plus.
● Intermediate statistical software skills (ideally R) and advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
● Experience cleaning, combining, and storing multiple sources of data in an organized manner.
● Strong research skills, including literature reviews.
● Eye for crafting clean, creative, and effective data visualizations.
● Outstanding communication and writing skills.
● Adaptability, confidence, and a can-do attitude.
Nithio offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, benefits, and dedication to professional development in a highly collaborative, innovative and flexible work environment.
Nithio recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
$18 - $20 an hour