Director, People & Talent
Toronto, Ontario /
People Operations – People Operations /
Do you ever wonder what’s happening behind the curtain when you order those awesome plates you enjoy so much from your favorite restaurants? Wouldn’t it be great if chefs had more time to do what you love them to do than spending time on administrative things - to come up with new dishes for you to try and make incredible food?
We’re a fun, hardworking bunch that is revolutionizing the restaurant and foodservice industry. We offer the first and only all-in-one software solution to completely digitize the notoriously wasteful, paper-driven process of wholesale food supply ordering and order taking for restaurants and distributors. We want to help your favorite restaurants deliver those delicious dishes you love so much with the best quality possible, and we are proud of our product!
If you want to join a purpose-driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture, read on!
About the Position:
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, the Director, People & Talent will lead the people operations and talent acquisition teams within the organization. Notch embraces a culture of high performance mixed with a strong people centric approach to culture, which we believe brings out the best in our notchers. As a leader in People and Talent, this role will essentially become the bridge between executive level strategy (partnering with the CPO) and execution on ground zero (making impact through flawless execution). Our ideal candidate will have leadership experience working in a fast-paced, venture-backed startup environment. They will be familiar working in an agile environment that sometimes feels ambiguous. They will understand how to create scaleable processes without losing speed or innovation. Our ideal candidate will also be a role model leader that aims to mentor and develop the People and Talent team to greater heights so notch can benefit from the dynamic team we have built.
- Provide stellar leadership to the People and Talent team (currently a dream team of 3), building trust, providing mentorship and ensuring a strong focus on their career development.
- Own the performance management process (currently implementing Lattice)
- Promote Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging across the organization and be a driver of our dedicated efforts
- Own the people analytics function and drive how we use data to make people-centric decisions
- Enable notch to be a best place to work through all People and TA-related programs, including people development, engagement, etc.
- Provide expertise, guidance, and coaching to leaders managing highly sensitive and complex employee relations matters, including performance management, terminations, people issues and trends – and all things People related
- Partner with notch’s People Operations and Talent team to ensure best practices around people-related functions including, but not limited to, performance management, disciplinary process, reward & recognition, and employee relations.
- Own HR compliance for notch and partner with notch’s People Operations team to ensure compliance alignment
- Continue building practices to support and engage managers at notch as a strong business partner.
- Must take a hands-on approach to HR leadership - context switching between the tactical (in the weeds) and the strategic (beyond the horizon) will be a necessity in this role.
- 7+ years experience in people, HR, TA, etc.
- 3+ years in a leadership role
- Experience working for a software or other tech company (venture-backed would be ideal)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Fluency and comfort with people/data analytics (ie., ability to build out an HR dashboard to capture KPIs)
- Demonstrated success with driving employee engagement and culture
- Experience managing high rates of organizational growth within an extremely fast paced environment
- Experience with HR system management: migration, purchasing, change management, etc.
- Includes HRIS, ATS, Performance Management (we use Rippling HRIS, Lever ATS, Lattice performance management)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information
- Reliable, accountable and independent with a strong focus on HR business partnership with leaders.
- We are a hybrid work environment. This role will require you to be in the office 3 days per week.
Nice to Have
- Experience with a SaaS company
- Previously led people growth from 100+ onward
- CHRP or CHRL is an asset.
- Full health, life and dental benefits from day 1. Your health comes first.
- Maternity & Parental Program. We want to support new parents.
- Mental Wellness Program. We want to support you when times get tough.
- Employee stock option plan. Everyone has a real stake at the company.
- Generous vacation policy, birthdays off and 2 volunteer days to give back to the community Refuel, recharge, and give back.
- Unlimited access to expert-led workshops. Led by real people.
- Tons of social events and team-building events. We love collaborating as a strong team.
- A team that values a positive, diverse and growth-oriented environment. We’re proud it’s become part of our culture!
notch was established in 2015 to build a future where chefs and food distributors could easily leverage technology to manage their complex and unique businesses.
Today notch is a lively startup headquartered in the heart of downtown Toronto, the fastest growing tech hub in North America, with remote notchers serving our partners in Chicago and all over Texas. We are a growing team with a vision to create the world’s most trusted foodservice industry and leave chefs with more time to do what they love: make incredible food.
Our company is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
If you require accommodation during the interview process, please let the recruiter know when contacted for an interview.
The notch Team