Scientist ll / Senior Scientist – Non-Clinical Development
Emeryville, CA /
Pre-Clinical / Clinical Development /
Pick a challenge that is bigger than your lifetime.
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at Nutcracker. We are an early-stage company looking at mRNA and its production in a completely different way. We are challenging the conventional and merging both innovative science with engineering to not just save lives, but to improve the manufacturing and delivery of critical health solutions. Yes, as our name implies, we are working to crack some of the toughest scientific and engineering nuts out there. If you are driven to discover, create, and inspire something that moves science and technology forward, and lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready to be a Nutcracker.
We are looking for an individual who can deliver exceptional in vitro experimental results using a variety of technologies. The Scientist will be involved in hands-on in vitro characterization of lead therapeutic candidates, including IND-enabling studies, and will be leading in vitro efforts to support pivotal pharmacology investigations of Nutcracker’s diverse mRNA therapeutics pipeline. This role presents an opportunity to collaborate with drug discovery, manufacturing, & quality teams, and contribute to relevant sections of regulatory filings.
The ideal candidate will need a strong understanding of early drug development and IND enabling study expectations. This position is within the Non-Clinical development team and works out of our Emeryville headquarters.
- Strong scientific background with early development and discovery-based research and significant in vitro immunology experience.
- Experience in in vitro study design, assay development and well versed in a wide array of cellular and molecular biology laboratory techniques (such as Flow cytometry, RT-PCR, ELISA/MSD etc.).
- Strong experience with immune primary cells cultures and characterization (eg. Human, NHP, murine PBMC, CD8/CD4 isolations, leukopac).
- Strong attention to best cell culture practices.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, and ability and desire to learn complex issues.
- Author high-quality, timely and appropriate technical documentation including laboratory records, SOPs, protocols, technical reports, sample analysis reports, and sections for regulatory filings.
- Analyze and communicate data effectively, resolving problems through critical evaluation.
- Experienced with interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt communication style to interact effectively cross functionally.
- PhD in biological sciences or related discipline with at least 2-5 years working full time in a laboratory setting either in an academia or industry. Position will be commensurate with experience.
- Experience with design, development and optimization of in vitro assays using a variety of readout technologies with a core expertise in at least one of the following: functional readouts (T cell killing, viability, apoptosis), flow cytometry, fluorescence/colorimetric assays, immunoassays, MSD, Luminex, alphaLISA/screen, qPCR, ligand-binding assays, ELISA.
- Experience working with and assay development in biological matrices such as serum, plasma, or PBMC and cells from dissociated tissues.
- A strong scientific foundation for detailed electronic experimental records and technical writing.
- Exceptional attention to detail and commitment to producing high quality experimental data.
- Strong commitment to quality culture, including detailed record keeping and speaking up for continuous improvement.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and desire to work within a highly collaborative team; adept at building cross-functional relationships with individuals from diverse interdisciplinary backgrounds.
The expected salary range for Scientist ll is $111,000 to $150,000, based on candidate experience, education, location, and other job-related factors.
The expected salary range for Senior Scientist is $142,000 to $165,000, based on candidate experience, education, location, and other job-related factors.
Employees are also eligible to participate in benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), PTO plan and employee stock options.
Nutcracker Therapeutics is an early stage life science company building a workplace where highly collaborative and diverse teams thrive. If your best work is performed in a fast-paced entrepreneurial work environment where meaningful work is mastered each day, we’d love to hear from you.
Nutcracker Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, as such, we do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (as defined under California law), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.