Architectural Model Maker (Contractor)
New York City, NY
Design – Design /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance toward the advancement of Nature.
OXMAN is seeking a Model Maker who is skilled and experienced in the art of building physical architectural models. The successful candidate will join our team on a full-time basis for a two-month contract with the possibility for extension. The role offers the opportunity to work on an innovative architectural project requiring physical embodiments across scales deploying digital fabrication tools such as milling, laser cutting, 3D-printing and more. Please note that we welcome candidates who have a subset of such skills but are stellar at and passionate about their work and work style.
As Model Maker at OXMAN, you will play a key role in producing high-quality large-scale physical models embodying our architectural designs. Leveraging your expertise in digital fabrication, materials knowledge, and 3D modeling, you will collaborate with an amazing team to bring our designs to life. The ideal candidate has a minimum of 4-5 years of experience in building large-scale physical models and a demonstrated ability to creatively solve digital fabrication challenges.
- Construct physical models, objects, and sculptures based on architectural designs, working full-time over a 2-month period, mid-March to Mid-May.
- Utilize digital fabrication techniques, including 5-axis CNC machining, laser cutting, and 3D printing, to fabricate components with precision and efficiency.
- Work with a variety of materials, such as wood, acrylic, metal, and composite materials, to achieve desired aesthetic and structural qualities.
- Collaborate closely with architects, designers, and project managers to understand design intent and ensure accurate representation in physical models.
- Develop and refine 3D models using CAD software, translating digital designs into physical prototypes with proficiency.
- Conduct research and experimentation with new materials and fabrication methods to improve model-making processes.
- Manage time effectively to meet project deadlines and deliver exceptional quality in every project.
Qualifications & competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, Industrial Design, Fine Arts, or a related field.
- A minimum of 4-5 years of experience in architectural model making, with a strong portfolio demonstrating expertise in digital fabrication and 3D modeling.
- Proficiency in CAD software (Rhino, Fusion 360 and Mastercam).
- Extensive knowledge of digital fabrication techniques, including CNC machining, laser cutting, and 3D printing.
- Highly skilled in model-making techniques, with a focus on precision and attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, with a creative approach to overcoming fabrication challenges.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team.
OXMAN does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
NYC Salary Range: $4,500-$7,000 per month
Salary is based on several factors including job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other business and organizational needs. Our compensation package also includes variable compensation in the form of year-end bonuses, benefits, immigration assistance, and equity participation.